I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lure weight vs. fly line wt. ????
Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.150.168.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 05:30AM

Good morning guys !
The other day, and actually the thread is still on this page, (fly rod to spinning rod) Tom K. referenced a lure wt to the fly line wt.. is there a formula for this or a chart for this??? If so, I'd like to have a copy.. This would help me in my quest for trying to relate fly line wt to pound test . So I can tell a fellow that "this 4wt fly line blank will do well with a 4# - 6# test mono, and you can use a 1/8oz. - 1/2oz. lure with it, and it should work fine for you.. That sort of thing..

I know we have had conversations regarding the possibilities of converting fly line wt to # test before, and the answer was that you could not do it... well I wonder how you can determine the lure wt for use with a fly blank.. If I can get a handle on that, I can come up with the # test for the blank..

Thanks to all in advance, always fun to look and read on this fine site !!!!

Tight lines & smokin' drags,

Art

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lure weight vs. fly line wt. ????
Posted by: Rich Pomponio (65.54.154.---)
Date: August 29, 2005 07:06AM

Hi Art!
I beleive there is some reference and a formula of sorts in the CCS booklet.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 29, 2005 07:33AM

There is no conversion from fly line weight to pound test - they're different things. Fly line weight is weight, not break strength, so the closet you can do is convert it to casting lure range.

Make the fly line number your numerator and with the denomator as 16. That will give you, in ounces, the casting lure weight. Or something fairly close. Keep in mind that commercial fly line number ratings are mostly subjective and not based on any particular standard or criteria. The same rod could be labeled as a #5 by one company, and a #6 by another and they'd both be correct.

Bobber weight vs. fly line wt. ???
Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-82-78.telecom.net.ar)
Date: August 29, 2005 10:42AM

Very, VERY interesting subject, and, as usual, Tom K. has the answer or at least a wise suggestion.
Now, I wonder ... How do I find out which 9´ FlyRod/Blank to use with bobbers, heavy bobbers in my case.
I have used #6 "sticks" (fast action blanks) with good results without sacrificing sensitivity, but feel this can be improved.
Any suggestion is Very Welcome!

Thanks!

Re: Bobber weight vs. fly line wt. ???
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 11:15AM

Guess the only thing to do would be to find the " true " line numbers for a fly blank, then, stick that over 16 to get a ball park ounce weight.
Then add up all the weight you will throw and see if the blank fits.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.148.111.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 04:17PM

Well, thank you to all of you... Now the mud is clearing up a bit,,, I have a chance of getting close to what I want...

Thanks again... very helpful !!!!!!

Art

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster