I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I feel awful...
Posted by: Morgan Hoburg (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 01:54AM

I just finished a GFGR600XL bumper wrap and was putting the final, final adjustment on the tip top before FlexCoat time. Man it looked great, even my wife was impressed. Evidently I didn't have the jaws on the chuck tight enough and the rod crept forward while I was turning it that last time and the third guide from the tip hung up on one of the supports and cut deeply into the blank. I don't want to sound like a whiner but I can't remember feeling this bad for quite a while. I killed my beautiful rod... I still can't believe it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I feel awful...
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 29, 2005 01:59AM

Jeez, that bites! I feel for ya, Morgan.

You know, if you think back on it, you know there were one or two things on that puppy that weren't quite right-grab another blank and make it a bit better than that one, Morgan-get right back up on your bicycle and get right after making it better than before!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 09:49AM

Morgan, build another rod now. But you made me feel good, I thought that I was the only one that
things like that happened to.

Take cheer.

Dan Hogan

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 09:56AM

A long time ago I learned the hard way to put a large rubber band around the rod and chuck. Jesse

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 09:57AM

Don't feel bad.
I just painted one reel seat twice, then did another one - this one I like.
Then I painted a blank and had some trouble with the clear. Did another one good - but maybe another coat of clear ?

I am way too fussy !!!

Strip that one and start another

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: August 29, 2005 01:25PM

Could have been worse; you could have applied the flexcoat flawlessly and then donated the rod to the river Gods on it's maiden trip to the river.

If anybody finds a 6'6" American Tackle matrix crankbait blank, bumper wrapped titans, and fuji "soft-touch" seat wrapped in dark green with single silver metallic inlays along the New River in WVa, I'd sure appreciate getting it back. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2005 02:48PM by Joe Hepp.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 02:05PM

Joe that is a total bummer !! Sounds like a nice rod. And expensive.

Plus I had two reel seats the same color sitting in front of me.
Put the wrong one on a painted white blank. Had to take it off, put the right one on, then clean all the rod bond off the blank.

Think that stock that is shooting up over a dollar got me all excited Dooo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2005 02:10PM by bill boettcher.

Date: August 29, 2005 02:53PM

Oops! Dbl post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2005 02:55PM by Joe Hepp.

Date: August 29, 2005 02:54PM

Actually Bill, it was just plain stupid! To quote the wife, "serves you right for even being there in the first place!" She sure has a way with words and can be oh so understanding.

Don't know what I was thinking taking that rod on a float that included 24 legit class 3 & 4 rapids. Probably made less then 25 casts before the flip.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: August 29, 2005 03:03PM

Joe, I was going to ask if you went in for it, but I guess the rapids stopped you Hay, maybe that rod is sitting wwaayy down stream????

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 29, 2005 10:07PM

Joe Hepp - Ouch ! Between the scare, the loss and the warm reception at home, I feel for you, man. That's gotta grate on the conscience ... New policy: if the vessel is capsizeable, anything on board has to be viewed as disposable, (at least) compared to life and limb.

Spring !978, Senior Year High School annual field trip. A very swollen Delaware River. And a bunch of kids who had never been in a canoe together. The bow got caught in some brush, and we went broad side to the current. In a matter of seconds we had to jump out or possibly risk having the swamped canoe turned into a submarine (maybe with us in it), wedged into the submerged limbs by the pressure of the current. As I stood in water 3 and 1/2 feet deep, as it raged over the hump of this submerged island, I held onto the canoe (and my deposit money). But the pain in my stomach grew as I realized two things: My new 6'6" Garcia spinning rod and my beautiful new QUICK-DAM 220N spinning reel were not inside the canoe. And that water-proof box that I had prepared as our food & drink locker was happily floating down the river, as steady as a barge.

The rod & reel couldn't have been more than a few feet away, somewhere at my feet. But the idea of getting myself impaled on some stick, or being swept off my feet if I lifted one of them, or having my head stuck underwater as I tried to reach down for my rod gave me enough of the willies to let me say, "Good bye." ... We were badly shaken and glad to get out of there with the canoe & paddles and our clothes bags. ... Suffice to say, the tackle that I had gotten by ill-gotten gain ("bad money") had been reclaimed by the Judge of all the Earth. (I'm afraid I wasn't always such a nice guy, ...) "What goes around, comes around, ... " ... right, ...? ...
A Dieu, Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2005 10:09PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: August 30, 2005 12:12AM

Cliff, and Joe

Could have been worse....I lost my GLASSES during a rafting trip....even with the strap.....and I am nearly LEGALLY BLIND without my glasses. A VERY understanding cop actually drove me home in my car in exchange for a dinner on me. Won't mention being on board a boat that suddenly bacame a submarine during a freak squall in SF Bay years back, it wasn't my gear......OOOpppsss....Flashback time....That water was COLD!

I feel your pain gentleman.

Derek

Date: August 30, 2005 03:09AM

Hey, Morgan - Back to over to you, buddy - Yours was a real disaster, for sure. Maybe Jesse Buky's rubber band trick will work for you next time around. (We all were getting carried away there with our chiming in. Misery may love company, but hijacking your Thread would be like adding insult to injury. 'Sorry, man.) ... Peace out, -Cliff Hall+++

Date: August 30, 2005 08:40AM

I have a really bad habit of hi-jacking threads at times. Sorry about that Morgan.

Posted by: Grant Darby (164.116.100.---)
Date: August 30, 2005 11:13AM

I'm surprised no has mentioned that you can fix it. It's a fairly easy repair and if done properly will have little effect on the action and will hardly be noticeable.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 30, 2005 12:00PM

Morgan, I feel bad for you but these things happen to me on a daily basis. I was fishing a river with a plug from the shore line. The tip of my 2 piece rod flew off and landed in the h2o. I freaked out .Took off all my clothes and jumped into the water to retrieve the tip.It never occured to me that all I had to do was reel the line in and the tip would have followed. The look on my wifes face was priceless , She just nodded her head in wonderment and walked away. A true story.

Date: August 30, 2005 07:16PM

Morgan Hoburg - Like Grant Darby said, it may be fixable:
Rod Repair By Ralph O'Quinn [www.rodbuilding.org]

Lots of other good Articles there as well at RODBUILDING.ORG LIBRARY: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster