I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

revolver type rods
Posted by: scott crawford (64.172.50.---)
Date: April 22, 2002 12:38PM

I am just getting started in rod building so please bear with me. I am starting with cheap blanks to develop ability, but I have a question. With all the concern with twist, guide placement, and spine I would like to eventually try to build a rod that is like a revolver. This is a casting rod where the guides begin on top but "revolve" in a half twist to the tip where the last guide and tip are pointing down. After some time learning the basics will this be possible, or should I keep my expectations a little lower for awhile. Is this possible in a non-professional way? Just wondering.
Scott Crawford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: revolver type rods
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (12.30.122.---)
Date: April 22, 2002 01:10PM

Scott, your first rod could be a revolver style. Check all the archived posts and get back copies of Tom's magazixe for the spiral wrap articles, there will be enough info to guide you through. I've only built a half dozen or so rods, but armed with that data I took on the task to build my first spiral using a St. Croix Legend Elite blank (it's not a cheepie). IMHO, it came out great, better than what I expected and better performance than my St Croix AVIDS. In other words, give it a shot, if you follow the advice from this board, you can't screw it up, tying guides is basic, just use the suggestions found here for guide placement. P.S., the guides were all hand wrapped, you don't need an expensive power wrapper, just patience, if it doens't seem right, start over agin.

Posted by: Dave Lockman (65.173.2.---)
Date: April 22, 2002 01:16PM

Scott -

I just got done with an info day and this subject came up. It doesn't look too difficult ( I plan on doing my first, soon). You could do it on your first rod, but I think confidence has alot to do with it, so you will have to assess that for yourself. Remember that even if you make a mistake, it is fairly easy to remove the "bad guy" and start again. Even tip tops can be removed and put on more conventionally.

I say go for it. If you don't have enough info already, do some searched on this site and others like rodguild.com. Try Roberts Wrap, Spiral Wrap, Acid Wrap, Revolver, it goes by a hundred different names, and there are probably well over a hundred different topics on this wrap.

Dave

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: April 22, 2002 01:49PM

I'm with the other guys. It really isn't any harder to get a spiral wrap right than it is a conventional. My experience with spiral wrapping is that its pretty forgiving concerning guide placement etc. Getting it perfect takes a little work, but so does a conventional setup. I say go for it......

Ray Alston

spiral wrapped rods
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: April 22, 2002 03:17PM

There is quite a bit on this subject within this site and it's not so much as being more difficult to do. One thing about setting up ideally with the blank and the guide arrangement is what you wish to achieve. For better casting performance, a gradual spriraling to reach the guides underneath at 180 degrees to the reel face is the way to go for your baitcasting rods. To do things as optimal as possible, pay attention to the blank you're dealing with, finding a power point for the butt guide placement, sizing the guides correctly, and choosing best guide frame shapes. The line path is something you'll want to pay close attention with, as is enough guides to have proper stress distribution.
I have demonstrated this idea fairly intensely on the local scene with professional and tournament anglers for the past month at a few shows and in the shop. It's really the only way to go for any revolving spool baitcast level wind or non-level wind reel to best achieve stability and overall handling to reduce tip end torque and twist.
Even the basic dowrigging or trolling rod type spiral setup will do the job, but with today's higher performance blanks you really need to pay particular attention for the line flow and considerations I'm sure already you'll find mentioned in the archives or other informational sources about the spiral or modified Robert's Wrap. The Revolver name is more associated with Rich Forhan's rods, but the basic concept applies. Remember also various blanks would ask for modifications best suited to their power and actions. Also check names such as "acid wrap", "corkscrew", "tornado" and "twist" to add with Robert's wrap and just plain "Spiral Wrap".

Rich
Richard' s Rod & Reel
Solyrich Custom Rods.

Posted by: Glenn Ging (---.wcnet.net)
Date: April 22, 2002 03:36PM

I agree. It isn't any more or less difficult than a conventional wrap. Take your time on testing your guide spacing and go for it. Search this site for information using the terms "spiral wrap" and "Roberts wrap". You will uncover a ton of information.

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: April 22, 2002 05:19PM

I finished my first spiral wrap rod recently, and the first time using it landed a 50 lb tarpon. What a difference! No twisting and turning. Just a steady pull. Took a while to land him, but the rod performed like a champ. Far different than my other baitcasting rods. Try it. You'll like what you feel.
Sanford

stability
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: April 22, 2002 07:27PM

Sanford,
I couldn't agree with you more. The more of these rods I build with added nuances about guide placement and line flow, the more it really amazes me how well they perform. Eliminating all that tip twist and torque itself, makes this a worthy type of rod to build. Most angler's non- acceptance for the look of this type of rod makes this a well kept 'secret' for a rodbuilder to introduce. Be prepared to keep making the lecture about the stability and enhanced performance, but seeing a catch of the big one is worth a thousand words. This was noticed when catching a sturgeon and landing it with no problems.
The question asked of nearby anglers , what is 'wrong' with your rod?
It's more like what is not 'right' about it.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Re: stability
Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: April 23, 2002 12:23PM

Go for it! After searching the archive, come with specific questions to the board. Here you will find the best knowledge base in the world on rodbuilding subjects. We have all been were you are now, so dive it, have fun, and let us know how it turn out.

Power Point?
Posted by: Joe Brooks (---.spokane-06-07rs16rt.wa.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 24, 2002 12:30AM

Rich,

What is the Power Point?

When I first read it in one of your posts I assumed it was the point where the blank first starts to bend, like when setting up the equal angle guide spacing. Then you referred to the power point for locating the butt guide.

I did a search on "power point", and all of the posts were yours. Can you provide a little more detail?

Thanks,
Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster