I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mixed up marbilizing
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 24, 2005 09:31PM

First attempt at marbilizing .Put down some NCP thread and CP it. Ready for the next step .Going to lay down some Flex Coat wait 15 min. then add the color pigments. I'm using a toothpick to apply the pigment. Do I just run the toothpick across the surface of the flex coat?What happens if I get some bubbles in the mix ,anyway to get rid of them with out ruining the mix?.After the pigments are added can you level the FC or no need to.Did the search didn't find these answers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mixed up marbilizing
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 24, 2005 10:02PM

Bill,
Why did you put down thread under it?? Most do it directly on blank. Did your base coat of Flexcoat have pigment in it? You have to add the pigments to the finish before it is applied to the rod? The way that I do it is to mix up my finish (High build works best) Pour 2 or 3 small amounts onto foil and leave enough in the mixing cup for the base coat. Add pigment color with toothpick to the base coat as well as other colors to each "puddle" and stir. Apply base coat just like you would any finish and let it turn for a few minutes ( I go about 10) and level out. Then with toothpick, I add contrasting colors in by dipping in the color and pulling/swirling into the base coat until yyou get the look you want. The longer you wait, the thicker it will be giving you more didtinct marbling. If it is to runny, it will all run together. Let the base coat level and start to set up BEFORE you add your other colors. Once it's all done, dont do anything with it. I have never seen bubbles appear in finish with pigment in it.

There is an article in the library at the top of the page. If you need any help, holler!

Mike

Date: August 25, 2005 07:35AM

Mike, did read the article but perhaps i'm confused. I had read where guys were adding white NCP thread first then I thought they were adding a clear Flex Coat and swirling with a toothpick and adding pigment. When you do your base coat you add the pigments so your applying a solid color to the rod to begin with? Then to that solid color you add the pigments with the toothpick? Sorry for the confusion bill

Date: August 25, 2005 09:08AM

Bill,

There is no right or wrong way but I never have done it that way. [www.rodbuilding.org] You have to add pigment and mix well before you apply to the blank. Before you do anything with the blank you need separate Puddles" of colored finish on a piece of foil.
The nice thing about marbling is you can "play" and do it however you want, except that you need the pigment IN the finish before you apply it to the blank

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2005 10:26AM by Mike Barkley.

Date: August 25, 2005 10:00AM

Read it in the search. Thanks Mike

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: August 25, 2005 10:30AM

Once I tried adding pigment directly to the finish that I had put on a scrap blank. You can't really "stir" it around when you do that, plus you have virtually no control over where the color goes. When you do as Mike recommends, you can control it. What I do now is pour out my little puddles of finish, mix the pigment into each one and then apply the base coat. Then I wait about 10-15 minutes to let everything start to set up a bit. I find this gives me better control over where the colors are going. I've tried using some of the thinnner finishes and they don't work well, at least not for me. Also remember that if you're using Testor's model enamel, you need to pour off as much of the thinner as possible. You only want the pigment, not the thinner.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: August 25, 2005 02:57PM

So is the general rule with this is that it does not work with lite finishes? I have played around with using FC lite finishes and the pigments and had decent luck, just wondering if I am going in the wrong direction? I can tell you I usually wait at least 20 minutes to start the marbelizing.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: August 25, 2005 03:26PM

My experience with thinner finishes hasn't been good, but maybe it's just me. I know that neither Mike or Putter use "lite" finishes for their marbeling.

Date: August 25, 2005 03:28PM

Jason,
If it works, go with it! I think that the High build is better (for me) just because it is a much higher viscosity and doesn't seem to run together as much for me. Either one will work.

Mike

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: August 25, 2005 04:06PM

Mike- I usually just wait until the peices in the foil are a syrupy consistency and then I go at it. The depth is not always really deep and I have done it early and it just blended in a looked like crap. I will experiment more and also order some high build and see which it is I prefer. This is probably one of the most fun things I have tried in rodbuilding, it is like a big kid finger painting.

Date: August 25, 2005 04:34PM

It's a lot of fun (and addictive) Especially for those of us with old tired eyes that can't see thread to well!! What's nice is there is no right or wrong way and your imagination is your only limitation. Just remember that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or "one man's Seagull puke is another's Picasso"

Have Fun with it!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 26, 2005 01:58AM

My favorites are high building, fast setting epoxies.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster