I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More bass blank info needed
Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 24, 2005 02:31PM

Below is a list of blanks that I am going to build up for demos for a bass club. I know nothing about bass fishing or the rods they use. This is a new area for me and I need some advice from the experts. I've been told that the bass guys use a mix of baitcasting and spinning rods. Of the list below, are there certain types of rods that they prefer set up as casting or spinning? Or is it more of just a personal preference? Thanks

These are all Batson blanks

ISB822.5 Drop shot/small tubes

CB60MH Crankbait
CB76MH " "

IFT904 Telescoping flipping stick

IMB Mag Bass

ISB782 Jigs/Worms

Jeff Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More bass blank info needed
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.147.9-243.newsouth.net)
Date: August 24, 2005 04:13PM

Yes, the Drop Shot would be spin and all the rest cast. And might try spiral wrapping with split grip and no foregrip. That is pretty much the "thing" for custom bass rods.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 24, 2005 04:24PM

BILL, Do you have a picture of the no Foregrip. I am new to this also and just can't picture how this would be done. It sounds great and I would love to do it. Scott

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2005 06:17PM

Here's a link to George Roth's site. He's got great info on it for building bass rods. He's got some good "how-to's" as well. This link is pictures of handle assemblies.

[www.georgescustomrods.com]

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.119.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 24, 2005 06:39PM

I had some questions too on the no-foregrip design. Looked at George's site; this gave me a lot of ideas - Thanks!
I am going to build by first split-grip soon, and was thinking about just sealing up the end of the reelseat with Rod Bond, colored to match the blank. From what I have read here, that might work well. Anybody tried this?
Thanks
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.147.9-243.newsouth.net)
Date: August 25, 2005 11:24AM

Steve Rod Bond will work fine. On my seats I use the Graphite arbors at the front end of the seat then just wrap a trim thread in front and the epoxy coating (LS Supreme) will fill in the end of the seat to make a nice looking finish. Most folks also trim the threaded part of the seat to remove excess threads. The graphite arbor can be pretty rough looking sticking out of the seat but just trim it flush and coat. George has some pictures of the finished seats if I remember correctly. I credit Rich Forhan for inspiring me to go to the split grip, no foregrip look. I like it a lot in use too!

Date: August 25, 2005 05:05PM

Bill - thanks for the info. I have a bunch of unused arbors, so I think I will give that a try. Just cut it so that it is flush. The problem I am having is that I have never personally seen a rod with a split grip. It appears, though, that, like everything else, there are many ways to skin the cat.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 25, 2005 06:18PM

Check the Photo Page. There are plenty of pix of split grips as well as some of no fore grip rods

Mike

Date: August 25, 2005 06:22PM

Mike - I have looked at a bunch of them there, but there is nothing like really seeing one in person. Speaking of that, I spent an hour looking at rods at the BPS today. All price ranges. It is amazing how good those rods looked to me a few months ago, and how bad they look now. Guess I have developed those "rodbuilder" eyes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster