I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss....yes, again
Posted by: Magnus Högberg (---.bredband.comhem.se)
Date: August 23, 2005 12:48PM

I very much liked Tom Kirkmans photos of guide wraps covered with Permagloss, so I decided to have some shipped overseas.
I've read the posts about painting blanks with PG and everybody says it cures very fast.
Is there enough time to cover the wraps on a rod before it gets tacky? Take a 9' fly rod with snakes for example.

----------------------
Magnus Högberg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss....yes, again
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 01:51PM

Pour a small amount into a glass container to work from and you should be able to finish the rod before it thickens. It will most likely dry on the wraps you first coat before you finish the last if you have medium to high humidity.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2005 03:55PM

What you have in the mix glass/cut is fairly well contained and not nearly as much exposed to the humidity in the air as that which you spread out on a wrap. So, the stuff in the cup will stay liquid for a plenty of time. What you have on the wraps, starts tacking up almost immediately - you can have time to load your brush and make two revolutions and then you must move on. You cannot brush it back and forth and around - it tacks up too quickly for that.

Same with coating a blank. Wet a cloth or a foam type brush, and make one or two continuous passes from tip to butt and then get away from it. Let that application set and then come back with another until you get the depth you desire.

Just don't try to apply this stuff like you would house paint.

Posted by: Magnus Högberg (---.bredband.comhem.se)
Date: August 23, 2005 05:36PM

Ok, thanks Tom and Stan.
Looks like i've got some experimentation ahead of me before i actually put it on "real" wraps.

----------------------
Magnus Högberg

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.254.139.217.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 07:30PM

Tom-- Above you stated when coating a blank with permagloss to wet a cloth or a foam brush. What type of cloth are you using ? And when you use the foam brush do you cut a hole or a slit in the middle and push the rod through it and do you just pour an amount in a large enough container to the width of the brush?Also do let the brush absorb the permagloss or do you just dip it like an ordinary paint brush?? Thanks

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 07:55PM

That would make a great demo for Charlotte in the main floor demo booth. I, for one, would love to see it actually done!!

Tom, Ralph???????

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2005 07:56PM by Mike Barkley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster