I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What type of paint?
Posted by: Jim Little (---.49.118.238.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 11:33AM

What kind of paint do manufacturers use on their blanks? After I strip a rod down to the raw graphite, I put on a coat of spar urethane using a drip tube. But I want to add some color but have no idea what type of paint to use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What type of paint?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 11:44AM

I would think that a small amount of paint pigment would color the urethane to whatever you wanted.

Mike

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 12:34PM

I use Plasti-Kote automotive touch up paint with good results.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 12:40PM

I've painted 4 this year (all white) using Testor's model paint with the solvent poured off. I mixed it into Permagloss. I'm reasonably sure that this would work with the spar urethane, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2005 12:45PM

It would certainly work. Ralph O'Quinn has recommended Titanium Dixoide for tinting any finish to white. This would make good sense. When I've done it with paint pigment, I find that it's hard to get a true and very bright white instead of cream or beige unless I use a lot of the pigment. The less stuff you add to your varnish, urethane or epoxy the better, so if you need white, I'd go with the titanium dioxide.

For most other, darker colors, the pigment out of jar of Testors enamel seems to do pretty well.

Date: August 23, 2005 12:56PM

Ya know, now that I think about it, I didn't use Testor's. I used that hardware store white pigment (also called 'titanium dioxide'). Sorry about the misinformation; head's MT today... or something like that.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jim Little (---.49.118.238.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 02:20PM

Thanks for yall's comments.
I have tried Taps pigments in the Spar Urethane and that doesn't work....it won't mix. I will give some paint pigments a try.
Any yes Tom I do want some white, so I will try the titanium dioxide.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 05:17PM

When y'all say "spar urethane" is this the same stuff you can buy in Home Depot or any home improvement store? I guess it holds up pretty well considering the amount of people here who have mentioned using it.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2005 08:05AM

The same Stan. I use Helmsman by Minwax.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: August 24, 2005 04:28PM

I've had no luck at all locating titanium dioxide. I've tried all the local paint stores in my area and no one has it available. Putter, you mention hardware store white pigment is the same. Is this something I need to ask for or is it available off the shelf?

Date: August 24, 2005 06:17PM

It's the (liquid) white pigment they add to paint to get the color that's needed going by their charts. I use these pigments for marbling; they're the brightest non-metallic, non-pearlescent pigments that I've found yet.

I haven't been able to find the powdered titanium dioxide yet either.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: August 25, 2005 11:49AM

Thanks...I will try it out. I did my first attempt at marbleizing last night. I used a wooden dowel rod as my guinea pig. Turned out pretty good using Testor's .

Date: August 25, 2005 12:06PM

That's the way to do it, Don. Practice a few first; try an ink pen-then you'll have something when it's done.

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster