I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sandy epoxy finish
Posted by: Eijiro Kawada (---.thenewstribune.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 06:33PM

I've read quite a bit on this using the search fuction on this board. It seems most of you use a lathe and sanding blocks in various grits to sand down a bumpy or wavy finish before the final coat.
I don't have a lathe. Is there a way to sand it down evenly without a lathe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sandy epoxy finish
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.45.48.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 08:34PM

Just use a basic sanding block. wrap some sandpaper over a flat piece of wood and slowly rotate the rod as you sand down the length of the wrap.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:16PM

Carefull. don't go into the thread. Do you have at least two nice coats on. ?

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:38PM

Worse, don't go onto the blank.

I am really wary of using sandpaper on finish. Too much can go wrong then you wind up having to redo it anyway, and its a waste of time and effort. I usally try to recoat with a thin coat, if that doesn't work I redo the wrap. Careful, if you sand too deeply you'll mess up the threadwork - so go easy. Before you sand wrap blank with a few layers of masking tape.

Lou

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: August 23, 2005 04:02PM

I used to sand wraps. I have given it up. It seems like no matter how careful I am I always end up fuzzing a thread somewhere. Maybe a trim ring out on the end where the finish pulled thin, maybe a trim ring in a wrap that got sorta pushed up when I tightened the threads. Yet I get wavey wraps that I need to fix.. I almost always cut and scrape with a sharp knife now rather than to sand. I can get it flat enough for the next coat to level. On the same thought, if it is wavey the first time and you sand and put another coat on the same way, it will be wavey the second time too. Took me a long time to learn to try not to keep repeating the same mistakes. I tried different finishes. I went through 3 of the LS formulations that did not work right. I have come back to using flexcoat regular. I can get a closer to flat finish with it than the others I have tried. It took me a long time to learn something else. If it is wavey it probably was not level. When Tom says you have to level the rod he is not kidding. I kept thinking, hey, this is bound to be close enough. Guess what, close makes a nice sprial wave in the finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster