I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting Bumper wrap -- all SF guides?
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 05:35PM

Building up a SCIII 7' MH casting blank for lake trout jigging. Lures run up to 2oz., fish average 5-6lb. with an occasional 10lb'r. My question is, am I playing with a possible future-guide breakdown, using single-foot alconite guides for the entire rod (including stripper & bumper) all Forhan-wrapped? Thanks for your help, appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting Bumper wrap -- all SF guides?
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 07:22PM

Why not! As someone said here a while back, the line has no idea how many legs are holding the ring up there! I think I would forhan wrap them. I've started doing that to all my rods with SF guides. Only takes a few extra seconds and makes sure you can't pull the guides out on anything.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 08:41PM

Thanks Ken. I really like the total single-foot look and performance on all my rods too! This is my first casting rod though. In this case with a bumper-style wrap, I was just wondering how any line torque from reeling in fish would affect the position of the stripper and first 180deg guide over time.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:02PM

I would use double footed guides for the butt guide and second guide (first 180 guide). The rest would be fine as single footed guides.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:59PM

Thanks Tom, I'm starting to wake up and think a bit more logical now, better to be safe. On a rod this size, the extra weight of a couple of guide wraps won't hinder anything. Appreciate your help and opinion as always! Mike

Date: August 23, 2005 08:47AM

And that tiny bit of extra weight is down low, not out on the tip where it would make any appreciable difference.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 09:50AM

Gotcha Tom, I guess here's a case where performance and matching the correct components to the type of rod/use outweigh aesthetics! Thanks again.

Date: August 23, 2005 10:16AM

It won't look bad at all. Keep the same frame color and ring type and it'll look fine.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 11:44AM

Mike: I recently made one pretty much as Tom K suggests, and it looks and performs fine. FYI, this was a 6 1/2 foot MH bass rod: the butt and first 180-degree guides were double foot size 12 and 7, respectively. The bumper guide was a size 7 single foot fly guide (really hugs the blank) and the rest of the guides out to the tip were size 6 single foot fly guides. My only problem was deciding how many trim wraps and where to place them for the best look, haven't quite solved that yet. But it fishes great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster