I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What kind of thread?
Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.69.---)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:56AM

Hi. My name is Dave Ervin. I am new to rodbuilding. In fact I haven't built my first rod yet. My first rod will be a 7'6" MH basscasting rod. I will use Fuji New Concept alconite guides. My question is what kind/size of thread to use for the guides? What kind of epoxy? What kind of epoxy to use for reel seat and cork handles? I have been practicing thread winding on some old rods. Also I bought some large spools of nylon thread (@#$%&) in B and D sizes. Is it Ok to use or should they be used for special applications on certain rods? Also how do you use the large spools? Do you transfer the thread to smaller spools? If so where can I find them? How about metallic threads, what do you use them for and what size? Also can braided line be used with these types of guides? Do you use color preserver on guidewraps if so,
when do you apply it? One last question, I need some advice on where to buy rod components, best price? You can email me if you want. I am new and I am just beginning.
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What kind of thread?
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:10AM

First off Dave welcome to the art! Second, before you jump in, I would recomend a good read on the subject. Either Tom Kirkmans or Dale Clemens book on rodbuilding. Most all your questions will be answered in either one.

Along with purchacing one of the books referenced above, you can purchase your componets from most of the suppliers listed on the left.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:36AM

Yes, you probably need to get some background info before you start. You're not going to learn to build rods from a rod building forum - but you will get help to get through any tough spots.

Nylon rod wrapping thread from Gudebrod, Rice or National is all good and entirely suited for rod building.

Braided line will not harm quality ceramic guides.

Color preserver can be used with regular nylon thread if you want to keep the same bright color you see on the spool. If you don't use it, your wraps will be fine but the thread will turn uniformly dark and somewhat translucent. Some people like this look while others prefer to use CP.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 10:58AM

You will aso find a lot of information by using the Search Funsion of this board. Just type in your question for I use All Dates and most will be answered
Check out the Library page Faq's, Glossary in the black bar above.

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.com)
Date: August 22, 2005 12:56PM

Size A is probably the most frequently used size thread for rodbuilding and is plenty strong. Epoxies used for guide wraps and bondig cork/reel seats are different. Ask ten rod builders what they use for guide epoxy and you'll likely get 6 different answers. Also, there are high build and low-build epoxies for guides. High-builds are usually thicker (higher viscosity) and meant to be applied in a single coat. Low-builds are thinner and usually require multiple coats. I tend to like using low-build (i.e. Flex Coat Lite) as my personal experience had yielded fewer bubbles in the final finish. The best thing to do is try a few and when you find one you like, stick with it. For reel seats and cork, use a rod-building epoxy such as Trondak U-40 Rod Bond or Flex Coat Rod Builders Epoxy. I like using the Rod Bond because you don't have to be as exact when mixing equal parts, and, it has a longer working time. Unless you are building LOTS of rods you probably don't need to buy thread in large spools. Better to buy smaller spools in more colors. Stick with thread designed for rod building. Threads from fabric shops frequently have silicon coatings with can cause problems when applying epoxy to the wraps. Use metallic threads interchangeably with nylon for both guide and decorative wraps. Apply color preserver to regular nylon thread after completing the guide/decorative wrap,but before application of epoxy. Most color preservers require at least two coats. Also, there is thread that comes already color preserved (NCP thread). As with epoxy, ask several people where they purchase components and you will get various answers. For the most part there isn't much price difference on most of the components, actually having them in stock is usually the bigger question. Any of the board sponsors will treat you right, my advise would be that once you find one you're happy with, stick with'em.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 09:48PM

Hi,
I would also get a couple of the videos that are available.
I recommend Doc Ski's video/DVD. Some people learn
a lot more by watching things being done.
Check the directory here for a rod builder in your area.
Most would be happy to show you the ropes.

Good Luck !

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: James Schuldes (---.prcw.com)
Date: August 23, 2005 09:53AM

On the first few rods I built, I used size D thread (the guy at the supply store wanted to unload some old inventory on me I think and I had not done much research reading the old posts here) but now I know that size A is what most folks use. Then when I started using size A, I learned why everyone insists on grinding guide feet - lol. Also, you might want to build a few "practice" rods before starting out on building the rod of your dreams. In the 8 rods that I built over the past year or so, I have learned a great deal and still have lots more to learn. But the really frustrating parts - like the cross-over for starting a wrap - are totally routine now - because I learned a technique. It just takes some hands-on practice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster