I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Float rod blank
Posted by: Bob Benton (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 21, 2002 06:10PM

I have decided to give float fishing a go at least here at home on the Esopus. I read all I can find on the net and have seen it done a few times. I think I will want a 13' rod. If any of you have any suggestions on a blank, components and centerpin reel that wont break the bank I would love to hear them. I'm hoping someone out there has some experince and can offer help. Dealers you can chime in too if you have a blank that seems to sell well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Float rod blank
Posted by: John Collina (---.netcom.ca)
Date: April 21, 2002 07:13PM

Hi Bob
In Canada we use anything from 11 to15ft most common is 13ft 2-6 /4-8 line Loomis 1562 Rainshadow 1562. High Frame Guides.Cork 6in butt 12in fore Floatreel Loomis or Islander in Canada $ 250-300 More info email for phone# John ( JC TACKLE)

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.detroit20rh15rt.mi.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 21, 2002 07:55PM

That 13' Rainshadow Blank won't break the bank for $79.00 at mudhole. I'm in the low end market for one also.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (63.232.15.---)
Date: April 21, 2002 08:42PM

Being a float fisher myself and having built a few I agree with everyone about the rainshadow blank. when wrapped there is no visible difference between that and a Loomis IMX (Looks wise). There are a couple of other blanks like Sage, St. Croix SCII and III, and Coleman blanks (same as Raven) to name a few.

Trying to find a "cheap centerpin" is almost impossible. I feel you get what you pay for. My suggestion is to spend the money and buy quality reel. With proper maintenance it should last a lifetime.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: April 21, 2002 09:17PM

Bob,
We have a nice supply now of those Rainshadow 1342 and 1562 blanks in stock and they are quite popular. I would also agree with Randy that the St. Croix Steelhead blanks are a nice choice.
Also, you might look into building rods on these type of blanks with the concept guides system and in comparison to the heavier high Y frame guides. This is a good working alternative that works quite well if arranged properly. Light line is the order of the day for float fishing and there also are some good alternatives for reels other than the most expensive center pin reels. Many will use spinning reels for steelhead rods also to serve a very similar purpose to float fishing, as well as a variety of floats developing for specific water conditions and technique.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Steve Young (66.46.243.---)
Date: April 22, 2002 02:34PM

The only addition I would have, is be cautious about reel position. It is a little difficult casting with a float reel at first, so many new float fishermen opt for sliding bands instead of a fixed reel seat. The drag, etc is controlled by feathering the rim of the reel with your finger, this is also one way to start the reel spinning when you cast. I recommend playing around with reel position before you affix your reel seat. I prefer mine so the butt of the rod sits at my elbow and the front of the reel is below my baby finger ( aprox 12" butt section, and 5" to 6" fore grip.

Steve

P.S. High frame guides are the way to go....

some considerations about guides
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: April 23, 2002 01:33PM

Many will continue to build float or steelhead rods with the M style high frame guides, and they work perfectly okay under most conditions. The idea of using even Y type or V type frame single foot guides in conjunction with lower, smaller, and lighter weight single foot fly guides out to the tip (concept system). These lower to the blank guides have the added feature of reducting torque on the blank and reducing air resistance when moving the rod.
It does make a difference. The system is well described in past issues of RodMaker magazine, as well as by distinguished rodbuilder proving that the concept works quite well even on the longer reach float type blanks. It may take some tweaking with an extra small guide or two than you may at first determine, and this is easily dictated by checking the final stress distribution.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 05, 2006 07:04PM

Hello Rich would you or any one that know what issue covers the float Rods???? # issue, As I am thinking of building one of these. Thanks!! Jay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster