I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral guide clearence??
Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 19, 2005 06:58PM

Ok I’m laying the guides out on my blank for a spiral rap and I wanted to know what amount of line from blank clearance you guys are trying to achieve. I can play with different size guides to gain more but where does it end??
Thanks for your help!

"The early bird gets the worm,.. but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral guide clearence??
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 07:13PM

If I understand your question correctly, are you refering to the
height of the guide frames? Use the lowest frame you can
to affoid extra weight. You want the line not to touch the blank
thats all. On a spiral wrap or spinning rod you don't have to
worry about that much as the guides are "down".

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: John Mantele (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 07:43PM

You should really mention what type of rod you are Spiral wrapping.

For Standup Spiral wrapped Tuna rods rated at 50 Lbs and above, I always try for a minimum clearance of 1/2 inch between the line and the rod when the rod is bent and under the maximun load for which it is rated.

John

Date: August 19, 2005 07:49PM

Sorry ,it is a 40lb stand-up rod.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:04PM

On my 40# standup rods and all others I try to get about 1/4" line clearance tween the 2nd and third guides which are the ones I use to get the line under the rod. I don't like the guides to stick out any further than necessary and can't stand to see a guide at 90 deg( my early rods had that, its not necessary imo yet I still see rods like that-diff strokes for diff folks i guess) I leave on a 5 day lr trip on the boat Excel tomorrow and I'm taking 8 spirall wrapped tuna sticks from 25 to 80#-say a prayer to the fish gods for me!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:04PM

I would Try to get the gap as close to Johns 1/2" as you can

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:11PM

On a bumper wrap system, the only possible place the line could touch the rod would be as it passes the side of the blank between the first and second guides. If you install a bumper guide, you've just taken care of that problem. Unless the ring on your second guide (first guide at 180 degrees) is very small and the blank very large in diameter, the line wil come close but will never touch the rod no matter how much load or flex it experiences.

On other systems I'd think that as long as the line doesn't touch the blank under the maximum load or flex you expect, then exactly how much clearance you have makes little difference.

Date: August 19, 2005 08:44PM

I just tried it again with a larger second ring and gained a 1/8". I now have 3/8" clearance using a 20mm stripper 16mm bumper and 16mm second. The rest are 12mm.amount of line from blank clearance you guys are trying to achieve. I can play with different size guides to gain more but where does it end??
Thanks for the help!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:54PM

Why gain more? You need enough so that the line does not touch when the rod is under the maximum expected load. That's all you need. Anymore is just clearance you will never need and has likely been gained at the expense of larger, higher, heavier (and more expensive) guides.

In direct answer to your question, it ends when you have enough clearance to keep the line from touching the blank under full load.

Date: August 19, 2005 08:58PM

Thanks, I will try it under full load next.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster