I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Tom K.
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 04:40PM

Tom or anyone who can help,
I'm building a Calstar Graphiter 760H. The conventional set up I have using American Tackle Turbo Boat guides is as follows:

distance is from tip

4" - 10
8.25 -10
13 - 10
18.25 - 12
24.25 - 12
31.25 - 16
39.25 - 20

Could you do a bumper system with this rod and is there anything else you change about the set up?

The rest of the rod is as follows:
Fuji GC25 Gimbal
Am. Tackle 8" smooth butt
Fuji DPS 24 seat
2" Tuna block
10" Custom EVA foregrip.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Tom K.
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 04:58PM

Flip all the guides to the bottom except the first one and install a bumper between the first and second guide at 100 degrees? I think that's how the article showed to do it. Seems simple enough.

I'd question the use of turbo guides once you have them on the bottom of the rod. I don't think you need the third foot unless the guide is intalled on top of the rod. Am I assuming incorrectly that these have three feet, or are these just two footers? I can't say that I've ever seen them.

Date: August 19, 2005 05:11PM

I know the method of the bumper system. But these guides will have a lot of pressure on them all the way to the butt guide. That's why I wondering could the bumper system be used here. These guides are not the three foot turbo guides like Fuji. These are two foot guides from American Tackle but they do call them turbos.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:07PM

Sure you can do it. I'd add one thing to what Ken said - you don't need all those different sized guides. Go down from your 20 to the 16 and then go 10's the rest of the way. You may also be better off substituting a 12 or a 10 for that 16. You no longer higher guides once you put them on the bottom of the rod.

Date: August 22, 2005 02:35PM

Thanks Tom. I have decide not to do the bumper system on this rod. Since it is a gift I'm afraid he won't receive it very well due to the un-natural look (to him anyway) of the rod. I will build a test a rod for him to use to see how he likes it. I'm sure he will like it much better than the standard conventional set up and hopefully he will get used to the look of it.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2005 07:38PM

Hope so. The beauty of the bumper system, is that it takes a ton of pressure off the guides. Nor do you have any transition guides that could twist or shift over time. I'm sure you'll get to try it on another rod before much longer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster