I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

permagloss questions
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:01AM

Did the search and still have questions on permagloss. Does it matter whether you put it on lightly or float it on. Will the way it drys make a difference ? I like the idea of soaking the threads with gloss I cant think of anything that is "lighter" and would give you the penetration around the shoulder of the guide foot than perm.Does CP stop the penetration? First coat always looks beautiful second looks bumpy even after 24 hrs. Have plenty of humidity.Going to put flex coat over the perm. always use CP. Would appreciate all opinions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: permagloss questions
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.162.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:49AM

Wet them. You want it to penitrate the threads well. Take any off the bottom if it starts to drip off
I always give it several hours to dry. Some put another coat on maybe an hour, I think that is too soon

You can also get many options on this stuff with a search of this board

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2005 08:54AM

You do not want to apply Permagloss thickly - it's important that the solvent can evaporate. Very thick or heavy coats can result in the polymer curing before the solvent within has fully escaped. Heavy applications also can lead to bubbles.

If you use color preserver, the color preserver will penetrate to the blank. There would be no further reason nor need for the Permagloss or epoxy to do so.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.229.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 09:26AM

I never use CP so to make sure it goes into the tunnels I soak it. Then the thread will suck it up

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 11:25AM

Tom ,not to be argumentative but from what I have seen ,not tested ,permagloss seems to be a lot stronger for holding power than CP ????

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2005 11:30AM

Probably, but the thread is what holds the guides. The coating just protects the thread. The only additional use for the coating is to fill the thread tunnel and provide a small "shoulder" that helps keeps the guide from shifting under lateral loads. Color preserver will do this as effectively as Permagloss or epoxy.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: August 19, 2005 03:22PM

I use permagloss on almost all my rods. My first coat is always a flood coat. I put it on heavy enough that it would drip off if I didn't rotate the rod quickly. I keep the rod rotating as I coat each guide. I let the first coat dry for 24 hours. Each additional coat is light. If the later coats are heavy the permagloss tends to build up at the edges of the wrap. The pemagloss has so much solvent that it will not fill the tunnel on larger guides., so after the permaglos has set up I add a drop of a very thin epoxy, called clear coat that is made by System Three and force it into the tunnel with a very fine wire from a lamp cord.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: August 19, 2005 03:39PM

Bill. Have you tried Klass Kote epoxy paint? Penetrates like crazy and dries rock hard. And does NOT smell like the permagloss. With care, you can do the wrap with 2 coats.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.239.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 19, 2005 03:54PM

I thin out my epoxy ---same thing Check there site. They even say it is epoxy, they thin it.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: August 19, 2005 04:13PM

Klass Kote epoxy paint was designed to be sprayed from an air gun. Now that is thin! If you leave it in the cup for an hour (as the maker recommends) it thickens up enough for a second, final coat. Next to varnish, as minimalist as it gets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster