I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Water slide decals cloudy
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 01:57PM

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My decals seem to be cloudy. Here's how I apply mine. First I make the decal on media from Decal Connection. Then cut it as close as possible, dip in luke warm water for about 5 seconds, apply a couple of drops water where the decal will rest and then slide the decal off the backing and onto where it will rest. I then use a wall paper roller to squeegy out the excess water. The roller is a soft foam type and conforms to the shape of the rod. Under artificial lighting the decal looks fine but once I get it out into natural sun light I can see the cloudiness. You can see the complete decal, that which is printed on and not printed on.

Anybody else had this problem and maybe a solution to it?

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water slide decals cloudy
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 02:01PM

3 possibilities...

1. Moving the decal too much; there's just very little adhesive on these things.

2. Bad water; try distilled.

3. Not putting on a glossy surface.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 02:03PM

What type of blank finish (gloss, matte) I always apply mine over a coat of finish. I use Micro-set instead of water on the blank. No problems yet!!!!

Mike

Date: August 18, 2005 02:04PM

Putter....I have some decals that were put on with distilled water but they also may have been moved around too much. I try not to moving much at all if I can help it. I always lay down a coat of finish before applying the decal and let that finsih sit for a few days before applying the decal.

Thanks,
Steve

Date: August 18, 2005 02:06PM

Mike....I may have to try that Micro-Set. I'll give Jimi an email or call about getting some.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Jim Little (---.49.118.238.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 02:27PM

Sometimes I have the same problem. I have starting waiting a minium of 24 hours before putting the finish on and that seems to have helped the problem. And I do use Micro Set.

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (12.151.198.---)
Date: August 18, 2005 03:29PM

Ditto on Jim Little's response. I tried everything to get rid of the cloudiness and finally found that I was putting the overcoat of finish on too soon. Use a couple applications of Micro Sol and wait the 24 hour period. I bet your problem goes away. Later, E..

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 05:01PM

I always put my decals over a coat of flex coat that has cured at least 18 or more hours. I've waited as little as 15 minutes to put my flex coat after i have put the decal in place and never had any cloudiness. The only time it has happened is when i tried to put the decal on a matte blank.
Lance

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 06:06PM

I put a lamp over the decal and apply finish as soon as I can get it mixed and on the decal with no problems, too. I wasn't ever going to post this, but since ol' Lance did...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 06:59PM

Before you put it in water --- put it on the blank - mark it some how - 1/4" tape, marker This will give you an area and good idea of where it goes so you don't have to keep moving it around.
I do this with peel and stick and they are usually a one shot deal.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 07:39PM

I've had this problem only once.....I concluded (cause it's the only thing I did differant), it was beacuse I put too many coats of epoxy on top.
I put a decal on my last rod, waited 24 hours applied epoxy - no problem-clear- next day put another coat on-no problem -clear.
Put another coat on the following day and BAM...the decal looked cloudy!? I usually only put one coat of Flex coat lite on top of the decal- always without problems?!?
This decal was clear as glass until the 3rd coat- (it's the only explanation I can come up with) now it's "Fogged"?!?!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 08:10PM

Jeez, that's weird, Eric. I guess I've never put more than one coat on top of one; so no experience with that at all. I think I'll try to avoid that experience, too!! LOL

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster