I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rottenstone Bamboo application
Posted by: Michael E Tanner (63.96.87.---)
Date: August 17, 2005 08:26PM

I know some have used this as a rubbing type compound for Lacquer or varnish finish when restoring bamboo fly rods.
I can't seem to find a application How To for bamboo rod restoration.
I have found where you my use water or different oils for a lubricant when rubbing.
is it always done by hand and not on a wheel.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rottenstone Bamboo application
Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.150.174.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 03:16AM

Rottenstone and oil,,, BY HAND.... lots of elbow grease. End product is well worth the effort, if the varnish job was good in the first place.. you can actually "move" small sags around when you are polishing with it.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 04:12AM

Which oil are you using,Art, linseed? Or another? Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Mark Wendt (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: August 18, 2005 09:01AM

Ralph,

The times I've used rottenstone on the finish of my rods, I've made a slurry using danish oil. Mix in the rottenstone till the consistency is like sloppy paste. A soft cotton cloth is what I normally use when rubbing out the finish with the rottenstone/danish oil mix. And yes, it does take a bit of elbow grease.

Mark

Posted by: Eden Bromfield (---.agr.ca)
Date: August 18, 2005 01:14PM

Mike,
Rottenstone is a grey coloured, fine powder that acts as an abrasive in the polishing of finishes such as varnish.
As others have said, a lubricant must be used.
Water, or better yet paraffin oil is recommended.
Rottenstone comes in different grades (particle size) .
The finer grade is used for final polishing .
Hope this helps.
Eden

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 10:09PM

What do you think I should use to just bring back the luster and cut 40 years of use?
other than the guides it looks to be in GOOD shape.
one supply house I found said water was to be used for the quickest cutting results.Should I try Danish oil or the Paraffin oil?

I am also trying to make this a helpful thread for someone in the future.Any help and full application ideas are greatly appreciated.
That same site said cut up an old felt hat {I guess you could use a NEW one} to use as an applicator.
Thanks,Mike

Posted by: Mark Wendt (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: August 19, 2005 05:31AM

Mike,

If the varnish is still in pretty good shape, but has lost it's luster, head down to your local auto body repair supply store and pick up a bottle of 3M Finesse-it II. It's a polish the the auto body guys use to get a really nice finish on the base coat/clear coat paint systems, but it works really well on the varnish and polyurethane finishes we use on cane rods. I use it on just about every cane rod I make, since there are always little imperfections that show up from the application of the finish. I usually sand out the blemish with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and follow it up with the Finesse-it II, and you can't see that there's ever been any sanding on the finish. It does take a little elbow grease to polish it out, but you'll be pleased with the luster after you're done.

Titelines,
Mark

Posted by: Eden Bromfield (---.agr.ca)
Date: August 19, 2005 01:42PM

Mike,
I am not familiar with Finesse -it, but any of the fine abrasives used for final polishing should work on varnish.
If you do use rottenstone, paraffin oil rather than water would be the best lubricant.
I have never used Danish oil, but in effect you would be applying a thin coat of this oil finish on top of the old varnish, which may or may not be what you want.
A soft lint free cloth should be used for application of the rottenstone/ paraffin oil slurry (an old felt hat would no doubt work well) and as has been said polishing is done by hand.
Good luck.
Eden

Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: August 21, 2005 12:35AM

Mike,
I use Camelia (sp) oil when I stir up a batch of the rotten stone slurry. The polishing in my opinion is best done by hand. With a polishing cloth or felt you can still miss the small sags and blemishes that you might not feel with a cloth. The end result is DEFINATELY worth it. I polish both on final polishing (finished rod) and after I complete just the blank after I have applied a hand rubbed finish. Not to do any name dropping but the good fellas at golden witch are the only ones I know that supply the Camelia oil.
Just another opinion,
Kyle

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: August 21, 2005 05:40PM

Kyle,
What you are saying is ,just use your fingers to do the rubbing?No applicator,right?
Mike

Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 01:32AM

Exactly, no cloths or felts just your finger tips and the rotten stone/oil slurry
Have Fun,
Kyle

Oh, after you've worked the rod for a while with the slurry you will rub most of it off or away with your hands, if your pleased with how things look then u can take a paper towel or something of the like and wipe the remnants of the slurry away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster