I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Shipping Charges on Backorders
Posted by: Jim Cunningham (156.29.80.---)
Date: August 18, 2005 02:23AM

There is an easy fix: Simply have a check box on the order form (net or mail) indicating, "Do you wish only a full order be shipped?" By checking the box, you are agreeing to wait for the entire order to be filled prior to shipping. That is fine with me. I hate paying the extra shipping!

JC

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.119.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 18, 2005 08:33AM

Tom is absolutely correct regarding all the hidden costs. It seems that, in many businesses, many don't understand this; even some people actually running the businesses. I think this is why so many businesses go under. As I try to slowly enter the rodbuilding business, I am keeping all kinds of time-study records, so that I will have a handle as to how much time each activity requres, on average. Unfortunately, until I get faster, which hopefully will come with time, I would be losing money on most jobs if I pay myself $20 per hour. Of course, it is sorta a circular problem, as the more experience I have, the better I will get too, and can charge more. Of course, marketing is really the key. If I can get a lot of positive name recognition, I can charge a LOT more.
For the past 30 years I have been in industrial marketing, and in this area most are "rational buyers". Here in this business, though, no one is a rational buyer (if so, they would all be going to Walmart for their rods). Custom rod customers have many psychological buying motives, and we have to trigger as many of these as we can.

But, I agree with the others about the backorder policy of many suppliers. In my business, industrial belting, we would lose many customers if we charged twice for freight. Many times we have to absord a little bit of cost in such situations, so that we keep the customer over the long term.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 12:37PM

There is something that I think folks are forgeting. When you receive an order , do an inventory on it and if it inludes back ordered items immediately call the supplier and cancel the order on the back ordered items. You would think that the eighth largest city in the US (San Antonio) would have someone who stocks some rod building conponents. It doesn't, so I have to order from out of town. When doing this I always do it by phone and ask what all is in stock and make my mind up if I want to on with the order or just tell the supplier to forget it. Gradually build up your inventory of guides, reel seats, tip tops, thread ect so that you don't have to make a special order when you feel the urge to build a rod.

Something else that I feel causes the back order problem is having too many manufacturers of componets, namely guides. Builders see pictures of shiny stuff with glitzy rings and immediately have to have some. This causes the suppliers to have to stock way more stuff than they need to and in smaller numbers, thus causing many of the back orders. I stick to one brand of guides, one that most of the suppliers have in stock..

I learned a long time ago that shipping costa are just one part of the deal and have learned to live it.

Gerald Mc

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster