I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bumper Spiral
Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:17PM

I just built 2, 7 ft. blanks for walleye trolling. One i put the second guide up from the butt to 100 degrees the rest at 180 and called it good. I think it looks good and it fishs well for trolling, never tried to cast it. The second rod i followed the instructions in Rm mag, adding a guide between the butt guide and the second guide, bumper. Only 10'' between these guides so the bumper has 5 in. on either side of the first and second guide. It fishs fine also. Just looks a little funny to me. Kind of hard to tell in the pic.s in the mag. But am i too close here, with this setup? One heck of a conversation piece though. Thanks John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bumper Spiral
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.184.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:25PM

Tell them you were drunk. I do.

Date: August 16, 2005 10:29PM

Sounds good bill, i will have to have mikey b. down to serve when i entertain prospective clients

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:37PM

The second one sounds good (I'm sure the first works well also). I think when you cast it you'll find everything to be just fine. The distances you mention are common and well within what I would expect on rods of that length. It may look funny now, but it'll grow on you as you use and enjoy it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.184.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:38PM

I usually space my guides as if it was a spinning rod, with a few turned

Date: August 16, 2005 10:45PM

Thanks guys, on my annual fall fishing trip this fall in the upper pen. of mi. with all the old regulars, these rods will be a hot topic around the dinner table i am shure. Good Fishing John

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 11:13PM

Hi John,

I'll be glad to pour!!! Heading to Fletcher's Pond Thursday for pike with the "Whoopin' Stick" that I just posted on the Photo page! Bumper spiral and it's already getting looks. I just converted 8 walleye trolling rods to bumper spirals for a charter captain friend and he loves them!! They were 8' 2piece so all I had to do was twist the top piece around 180 and put on a ceramic fly guide for a bumper!!

Are you going to Charlotte??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: August 16, 2005 11:29PM

HI Mike will be in charlotte in febuary, from what i hear about fletchers you will need the whooping stick a lot of urasian millfoil, but they are working on getting rid of it. Let me know how you do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster