I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Where do I get them ???
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.211.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:19AM

Hi guys
Been talking to a guy that I thought wanted a spinning rod ?
He shows me a picture of a low profile casting reel.
Then tells me he does not want to use it on top of the rod ?? I'm totally confused.

How can I explane to him the benifits of each reel used the correct way ??
Thanks Confused - Are there any articals I could maybe send him

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where do I get them ???
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:34AM

Tell him to ask the kid at Walmart.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:50AM

I think he needs some basic instruction on how tackle is designed to be used. I don't think you're going to come out well building a rod for someone who has no idea how to properly use it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.128.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 11:12AM

I tried to tell him for the best performance to use them correctly. Sounds like no mater what I build him if he is not going to use it right it's useless

Date: August 16, 2005 11:31AM

I will talk to him a little before I do that Billy.
Trying to find out how long he has been fishing What kind of experience he has. Then I guess I will take it from there ? If he has not used a casting rod before maybe I can build him a good spinning rod.
I figure I would give him a shot.

Date: August 16, 2005 11:33AM

I will talk to him a little before I do that Billy.
Trying to find out how long he has been fishing What kind of experience he has. Then I guess I will take it from there ? If he has not used a casting rod before maybe I can build him a good spinning rod.
I figure I would give him a shot. Maybe I can make him a better fisherman, and have more fun at it.

Date: August 16, 2005 11:44AM

Bill - another option might be selling this guy an older rod you built for yourself which you really don't use. Take teh money from that rod, and replace your "old" rod with all new components. I'm running into this "problem" with a lot of my "old" rods. I find I like certain guides, certain grips, the action of certain blanks better, etc - but I have 20 rods built for the same purpose already so it makes no sense to build the 21st.

You just have to watch what price you sell the rod for, as if you discount it just to get rid of it, he'll end up wanting a new one for the same price in the future.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 11:52AM

I have a mate on my boat that uses a conventional rod/reel oriented like a spinning reel. Yes, holds the rod upside down. The small ambassaseur is a rh reel, but he cranks it backwards with his left hand while holding therod held in his right hand. Seems like an odd way of doing it, but he fish don't seem to mind and he catches plenty of them. I can't do it myself, the "usual" way of doing it is too engrained in me. With the offshore stuff he hold the rods in a usual way.

Lou

Date: August 16, 2005 11:59AM

Billy
I know what you mean, been there.The guy keeps adding things on like painted seat, just raises the price.
Heck the rod I use was a quick build that is Uglyyyyy. But casts great. Does not do much for showing off my work. Dooo

Lou
That rod would work better if used the right way No ?

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:24PM

"Bill Boettcher,Sr" <[email protected]> :
In the last year, somebody at RBO put up a link to this *.JPEG.

1. An Old Guides-on-Bottom Casting Rod Tom Doyle 01/13/05 03:19PM [www.rodbuilding.org] A 1948 alternative to the spiral wrap! This was posted on another board (BFHP) and thought I'd share it with you guys, without comment: "1948 Casting Rod Blank Above the Reel" . [www.rodbuilding.org]

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately?), I don't think anyone is making anything like this anymore. But I thought you would find this interesting. If you show it to this guy, he is likely to think you can make one just like it for him.

Unless he is willing to pay you $100-150 in cash, just for the handle, before you even talk any more to him about the rod, AND you have a machine shop, or a machinist in the family who can cut this from stock, this all sounds like idle curiosity. Interesting, but only if you don't have other jobs on the benchtop and irons in the fire right now.

Do tell him that if he tries to use a (standard casting reel mounted on a standard casting rod) flipped over into the upside-down position, that he will be unable to thumb the spool on the cast. Moreover, the handle crank will feel like it is being turned backward; this is regardless of whether he uses a left-hand crank, or a right-hand crank reel.

If the reel does not have a level wind, then he could simply mount the reel pointed backwards - toward the butt cap. When he flips the rod over, then it will feel and reel in the usual direction, with the crank on the right-hand side again. But the problem of how level the line and how to finger the spool with the reel seat in the way will still remain

Otherwise, if the reel has a level wind, to reverse the crank direction would require the foot of the reel to be moved from being under the reel to mounted on top of the reel. LOL!

If he is THAT talented, he should be able to understand that his best bet is to pay attention to your common sense and sound advice and learn to use the tackle the right way in the first place. ... LOL, ... Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2005 01:13PM by Cliff Hall.

Date: August 16, 2005 12:38PM

COmmon sense would be for all reels to go under teh rod, since that is where Gravity pulls. So whoever made teh first conventional reel, did not use common sense, yet we all followed his/her lead.

That reeling upside down with teh conventional trick is pretty cool. It's sort of like waving for the fish to come to me, come to me - each time they turn the handle.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:45PM

Hay Billy - roll me one of those what ever your smoking ?? LOL

I have seen one guy useing a spinning reel - on top - of the rod as a casting reel ?? That flipped me out . Had to be much harder to use, let along hard to hold because of the weight of the reel.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:59PM

Yeah Bill, I've seen that too.....several times....Probably never used anything but a Zebco 202 before....Looked wierd as heck...LOL
Steve

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:04PM

Yeah Bill, I've seen that too.....several times....Probably never used anything but a Zebco 202 before....Looked wierd as heck...LOL
Steve

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:11PM

Reeling with a conventional reel on the bottom is easy. I've seen many cartoon characters do it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:18PM

I wonder if Sponge Bob uses one ??

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:20PM

Sorry - the original link I posted at www.tinypics is now defunct. I have Posted the *.JPEG for "1948 Casting Rod Blank Above the Reel" at the RBO Photo Gallery at: [www.rodbuilding.org] -Cliff Hall+++

Date: August 16, 2005 02:13PM

Googan is the North East internet term for one who reels with a spinning rod on top. You'd be surprised how often we see people like this up here, I'd say something like 5% of people who go on the Party boats fish like this.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 03:04PM

Billy it is the midwest term too or at least I have heard it. Do you know where it came from?

Anyway in the midwest on all of our large man-made dams that come off the reseviors about a quarter of the people fish like that, screwy! It is funny watching someone fight a 40 pound flathead on a dinky walleye spinning ring used upside down. SNAP!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 03:16PM

Does not sound like much Fun to me ???

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster