I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Waterslide vs. Adhesive back decals
Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 12:56AM

I am getting ready to order some decals from Decal Connection. I'm finally tired of trying to write my info on all of my rods. For those of you who use a lot of decals, is there a preference between the two types of decal? I've used the adhesive back type and have enjoyed all the fingerprint and crooked application problems. Do the waterslides have their own problems that are just as bad?

Thanks,

Jeff Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Waterslide vs. Adhesive back decals
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:51AM

Waterslides are much better!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:59AM

Get the micro sol, micro set and a set of instructions from Jimi also. Learn to apply them properly and you'll love 'em.

Try not to slide the decal around very much. It has a very thin layer of adhesive on it and excess movement of it on the rod will lose that precious bit of adhesive, causing feathered edges and other troubles.

Cut the decals out close to the print with scissors, not blades. This leaves the edge of the decal sharp and won't show bad spots afterwards.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 05:18AM

I think if you could get adhesive as thin as the St.Croix Decals or Gloomis decals they are the best. I have yet to find adhesive that thin. I make my own decals and I mostly use waterslide but the paper is so inconsistent that some times they ghost. What I mean ghost they are cloudy.. i have tried every trick in the book but I havent tried useing different finish on guides. I made a bunch of decals for another guy and they didnt ghost, but he was useing a different finish. I would suggest water slide for now.

Next time I order some finish Im going to try another brand,, the stuff I use now turns an amber color after about 3 months.

Thanks Dave

Date: August 16, 2005 05:19AM

I think if you could get adhesive as thin as the St.Croix Decals or Gloomis decals they are the best. I have yet to find adhesive that thin. I make my own decals and I mostly use waterslide but the paper is so inconsistent that some times they ghost. What I mean ghost they are cloudy.. i have tried every trick in the book but I havent tried useing different finish on guides. I made a bunch of decals for another guy and they didnt ghost, but he was useing a different finish. I would suggest water slide for now.

Next time I order some finish Im going to try another brand,, the stuff I use now turns an amber color after about 3 months.

Thanks Dave

Thanks Dave

Thanks Dave

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 08:26AM

I like the thinness of the water slide but had a bad experience, I had some that got a year old and started to disenigrate into pieces when I went to apply them. I have gone to stick ons and now I have had no more problems.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2005 09:08AM

If you order a large quantity of water slide decals, make sure to store them in a cool, dark area. Heat and sunlight will degrade unused decals over time and you'll get that break up when you try to use them. Even then, you still have a certain shelf life on decals. But properly stored a year shouldn't be out of the question.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:04PM

For very thin waterslides, to give them a little more thickness, spray with a light coat of Testor's Dull Cote laquer, let dry for a day, an old model builder's trick.

Posted by: Brian Murray (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 07:27PM

What brand and type of epoxy are you using that causes the problem after three months time, I'd like to know so I don't make the same problem for myself.
Thanks, Brian

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2005 08:56PM

Dave: If you are making your own, but have problems with the paper, you can buy blank sheets of waterslide paper from Decal Connection, will be the same as they use.

Posted by: Joe Stone (---.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: August 23, 2005 10:42AM

Lo Gentlemen,

I'm desperately seeking someone who will create Mass. State Police door decals & lettering in 1:43 scale. Have tried one provider w/ disaterous results.

Thx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster