I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dulling a rod blank finish
Posted by: Tom Markham (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 08:05PM

Someone I know doesn't like the glossy finish on his rod blank. He wanted to dull the finish of his rod to a matt type of finish. Any suggestions on how to do this without compromising the rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dulling a rod blank finish
Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: August 15, 2005 08:37PM

You will need to strip the glossy blank finish off. This is the only way I have done it. I have refurbished many rods for people who requested the same thing. After I strip it I recoat it with a very thin finish to give the blank some added protection.

David Banaka

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 15, 2005 08:57PM

Whatever your friend tries, tell him to test the effects of whatever he does by trying it first down near the butt end of the rod, where the handle components will cover the test section. Any part of the handle section that will have adhesive applied to it will need to have a scuffing anyway, so that will kill two birds with one stone.

Also, recommend he come here to RBO and read the two LIBRARY Articles, "Surface Preparation" and "Refinishing Rod Blanks", both by Ralph O'Quinn.

Basically, the only two choices are physical abrasion, or chemical marring from a strong solvent. Since I can't see the rod, and I have no idea how "matte" he wants it, that is the end of my advice. ...

IMO, my advice is to leave well enough alone, because it is impossible to tell the depth of the gloss finish, or the type of fibers on this rod, without seeing and touching it. If it is a graphite rod, it is more critical to do it correctly than if it is a fiberglass material. ROQ's articles discuss why in detail. Read them.

-Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 10:06PM

I think, if you spray the rod with matte urethane finnish that would
do the trick. IMO

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 11:34PM

I second Ray A......Skuff blank very lightly with say 600 grit and than spray with a matte urethane or polyurethane. Should work.

I just went the opposite by taking a matte dark grey blank and adding a clear gloss coat with brilliant gold sparkle. Pretty interesting result.

All things are possible.

Derek

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 15, 2005 11:57PM

Cliff Hall wrote: "Basically, the only TWO choices are physical abrasion, or chemical marring from a strong solvent. ..." .... Whoops! I must stand corrected.

Ray Adams was thinking more than I was, when he suggested a THIRD OPTION: If you spray the rod with matte urethane finish that would do the trick. IMO." A light scuffing should help the urethane bond to the rod blank. If you don't use a spray-on urethane, but a liquid / brush-on type, then a quick pull thru a soaked sponge-brush or Putter's funnel trick to apply the urethane should give nice results.

Read ROQ's articles and understand this "water break free" surface thing.

Also, refer to last month's refresher article on this very subject of surface preparation in RMM-8(3), pp 30-31. That's shorthand for RodMaker Magazine Volume 8, Issue #3, pages 30-31.

If your buddy has a computer, tell him that RBO (www.rodbuilding.org) is THE place to learn custom rod-building. There is literally more information available here every day than most people could keep up with. The LIBRARY articles, and the FAQs article are outstanding. The SEARCH function for the ARCHIVED POSTS is the best I've seen for such a text-finder, and I've done a lot of searches on various medical literature databases. And what Photo Gallery can compare to RBO PhotoPost? -None-.

Add in: the RMM back issues and a subscription to the best rod-building magazine in the world; and some of the most relevant Posts; and an eager, helpful, knowledgable and reliable pool of Repliers; and anybody who is serious about learning more about rod-building would be missing the boat if they choose not to plug into RBO.

A word to the wise is sufficient, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: August 16, 2005 01:58AM

I've done this a few times using steel wool - the finest you can find - just scuff lightly until you get a satin look - this wont remove the finish just the surface. Once the rod is finished you can rub it with a very thin layer of wax to get a little more depth. But as recommended - always try on the bottom section first.

Posted by: Donn Lawty (---.242.192.1.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 10:36AM

"I've done this a few times using steel wool"

Or Scotchbrite- both are quick and effective at dulling the finish without removing any of the finish. The finner the better, #000 or equivilant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster