I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how to lace replacement netting for landing net
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.47.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 12:31AM

deviating from rod building a bit but closely related (i hope) i have an inexpensive $15-$20 C&R landing net which needed the netting replaced after i sanded and stained it with a nice light cherry stain. looks much nicer by the way. i had ordered replacement netting from jann's and was surprised just now to find no instructions nor twine or whatever is used for the actual lacing. my bad for assuming.

has anyone done this and can point me to an online source for instructions? can anyone recommend any common twine sources or material for lacing which might be found in any typical city?

obviously the best route is to contact the original vendor and order what is needed but i was hoping to have it completed in a few days and would like to find a readily available option. thanks.

eric
fresno, ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to lace replacement netting for landing net
Posted by: John Bumstead (---.s81.apx1.lnh.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: August 15, 2005 08:13AM

Eric: A sponsor of this board, Jann's Netcraft, should be able to help you. John

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: August 15, 2005 10:25AM

Eric,

It is relatively easy to do.....

You will need...an embroidery/darning needle(one with biggest eye that will fit thru holes in the frame of your net...(wal-mart). You can use just about any kind of twine...I have been using decoy line (for Ducks decoys) seems to work well. Some of the production net builders are using the same stuff they string tennis racquets with. Some like waxed twine. Use what you can get a hold of if you have to re-string it in the future it is only a 30 minute job.

Push a couple inches of twine thru hole in needle. Use about 72" it will be more than u need . You can cut off the rest at the end. Tie a large knot (big enough so it will not slip thru holes in net frame) or use a small knot with a bead big enough it can't pass thru frame. Take your new net bag and roughly figure out where you want it lined up (starting at the handle) .Starting at the handle (Doesn't matter which side) thread needle thru first hole from outside in.... then pull all the twine thru til ur knot or bead is about an inch from the net. Now thread needle thru hole in net bag from outside in then pull all twine upwards til all excess is thru net bag. Now push needle back thru same hole with twine already in it this time you will be threading from the inside of the frame towards the outside (may be snug getting needle thru). Once needle is thru ....pull slack out of thread pulling your knot/bead tight into frame. Then pull all twine back thru frame pulling til it is snug...some of the net bag will come into hole.....go to next whole and repeat til you get to last whole. At last whole tie big knot/bead as close as possible to frame then pull net back so knot is tight. Cut off extra twine....go fishing.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: August 15, 2005 10:26AM

Eric,

It is relatively easy to do.....

You will need...an embroidery/darning needle(one with biggest eye that will fit thru holes in the frame of your net...(wal-mart). You can use just about any kind of twine...I have been using decoy line (for Ducks decoys) seems to work well. Some of the production net builders are using the same stuff they string tennis racquets with. Some like waxed twine. Use what you can get a hold of if you have to re-string it in the future it is only a 30 minute job.

Push a couple inches of twine thru hole in needle. Use about 72" it will be more than u need . You can cut off the rest at the end. Tie a large knot (big enough so it will not slip thru holes in net frame) or use a small knot with a bead big enough it can't pass thru frame. Take your new net bag and roughly figure out where you want it lined up (starting at the handle) .Starting at the handle (Doesn't matter which side) thread needle thru first hole from outside in.... then pull all the twine thru til ur knot or bead is about an inch from the net. Now thread needle thru hole in net bag from outside in then pull all twine upwards til all excess is thru net bag. Now push needle back thru same hole with twine already in it this time you will be threading from the inside of the frame towards the outside (may be snug getting needle thru). Once needle is thru ....pull slack out of thread pulling your knot/bead tight into frame. Then pull all twine back thru frame pulling til it is snug...some of the net bag will come into hole.....go to next whole and repeat til you get to last whole. At last whole tie big knot/bead as close as possible to frame then pull net back so knot is tight. Cut off extra twine....go fishing.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: August 15, 2005 11:47AM

Yes, Jann's Netcraft is a good source for the twine. I haven't done the lacing thing in awhile but it is pretty simple as I recall. Now when I last did it, I used a standard net bag, not the catch-and-release type. I'm not sure if the procedure is any different.

Basically you run the twine in the little groove that runs around the outside of the net hoop. As you get to one of the holes, you pass the end of the twine into the hole, though the net mesh, then back out of the same hole. You pull it up taut and then move on to the next hole.

There should be a starting hole for the twine and you put a knot in the twine so that it is secured in the starting hole. The should be a similar hole when you get to the other end.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.208.169.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: August 16, 2005 02:56AM

everything is helpful, thanks everyone. as i mentioned in my first post, i was already dealing with jann's (netcraft) with the original purchase. i figure if i can hand sew a disney mulan costume frm scratch for my little girl, i could figure something out with the netting. just wondered if there was some special technique with a fish stamp of approval ;-)

by the way, jann's netcraft replied and offered suggestions as well. it'll all work out. thanks to everyone again. and being archived, perhaps the tips will help others in the future.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster