I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

situational actions
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 14, 2005 09:59AM

Just wondering, speaking in fly rod terms,are different rod actions more suitable for certain situations than others ? Example , a river with fast running water maxium casting distance needed is a moderate action rod better for this situation than a fast action?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: situational actions
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.226.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 14, 2005 12:20PM

I myself think it is more of the feeling of the user. I have found a SCIV St Croix feels better to me a 5WT with a 6WT line on it. I am able to feel the line in the back cast.
The best think maybe to try different blanks or rods of different actions and see which one you like the better. You might be better off asking what blank for the area and water you are going to fish
You may want a more gentle presentation with a glass like pool so as not to scare the fish

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 14, 2005 05:15PM

You hear a lot of fly rod guys say things like "This would make an excellent dry fly rod" or "this rod would be best for nymph fishing." I don't buy it personally. I use a fast action fly rod (65AA+) for all my fly fishing and find that how well I cast, how well I deliver the fly, how good my presentation is, depends mostly on my skill in casting - not so much the action of the rod.

It is my belief that a faster action fly rod is a more versatile fly rod than one with a more moderate action (less than 60AA). Others may disagree, but I believe the faster action rods can do a wider range of things than those of less fast action. I also find that they allow you cast a wider range of fly lines at varying distances.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 14, 2005 05:33PM

I agree with Tom except that my personal preference is for a moderate instead of a fast action. And like Tom, I believe casting skill means more than the rod action. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2005 12:43AM by Ralph Jones.

Posted by: Aaron Hansen (---.cdc-ut.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 09:53AM

While I do most of my fishing with a fast acrion rod I do have a very slow rod that really does help with delicate presentation in close quarters. I honestly think that it is more rod length than action though. With my slow 7' rod the line doens't need to fall as far as with a longer rod. The only drawback to the slow rod is the lack of ability to pull fish out from under logs in fast current. There is basically no reserve power in the butt section.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: August 15, 2005 10:29AM

I don't know if it is me but I was looking for a certain blank for a couple of days and looking at most companies --- are they listing most of there blamks as Fast ? is this a play on wording ??
Finding even St Croix has there SCIII and II's I figured them as a moderate fast or just a moderate action ??

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: August 15, 2005 04:52PM

My main fishing is done on tiny spring creeks- some no wider than you can jump across at times. I would say that my most well used rods will always be short, moderate actioned rods or rods that are fast that are over lined. I rarely need to make a cast more than 20-30 feet, but the presentation must be flawless or you go home skunked. That being said the larger faster rivers that I have fished out West require something totally different as far as rod goes. The delicate presenation is still there and is priceless but the rod is another thing. Can you get away with a mod action rod- sure, is it going to give you the versatility you need probably not. In my opinion for my applications(small spring creeks) certian rods perform better, but always in my home turf mod actioned rods are going to be preferred IMHO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster