I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with thread colors
Posted by: Daniel Rees (---.l1.c4.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 13, 2005 01:34PM

I'm going to be putting a fly rod together using the following:-

DanCraft Sig V 9053 - Matte Clear
REC NBGB with Black Ash dyed green insert
A. Titan strippping guide with REC single foot recoils

How do you think Gudebrod 5896 Dark Green will look on this particular build and what about trim bands? Silver, Gold, Metallic Green?

I know it's probably personal but any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with thread colors
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: August 13, 2005 04:38PM

5896 with no CP would be fine, it's very close to the Rainshadow green blanks if you've seen one. Angler's Workshop has darker colors of green in their shop thread and they could give you the closest match from a reelseat at the shop. They have a kind of hunter green (pine needle) color that might be what your looking for. Copper and bronze trims also looks nice with dark greens.

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2005 08:08PM

If you are having questions about colors on a regular basis, try using a color wheel. They are available thru many art stores & will help you mix/match colors of all sorts. Honestly, all the trim colors you suggested would be nice. Try wrapping up a bunch of combinations on your blank (or a similar color scrap blank if you have one). Trust your own judgement.

Tim

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 13, 2005 08:18PM

Hi guys- this link is still available.............

[tightwraps.com]

You can try all sorts of combinations and save your final decision as a web page link to which you can return or refer friends.

I don't remember who keeps this color combination site going but I really appreciate it and use it often.

Pete Kornegay

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 13, 2005 09:59PM

I'm not sure who maintains it but it has the Visual Wrap Logo at the top. It would be super if they had the mettallics, Madiera, & Sulky (I know, I'm not asking for much!!!)

Mike

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 14, 2005 04:52AM

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I wrote the colour combo web page and it will eventually be built into the VisualWRAP website. I would like to extend it with more colours one day, but that will take some time. Until then I intend to keep it available at that address for anyone to use.

Thanks
Dave Boyle
www.visualwrap.com

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.208.138.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: August 14, 2005 05:58AM

how about black and green jasper (color preserved) with NCP white trim?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 14, 2005 09:52AM

Thanks for a great tool, Dave- as an example of how I use it, my boss wanted me to build his wife a flounder rod (he lives far away). For thread color choices, I referred him to the site, she tried out her very own color combinations (feminine, I might add), they e-mailed me the "final decision" web page link and we were off and running.

Ain't the internet wondeful ???

Pete Kornegay

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 14, 2005 06:22PM

Pete,

Great stuff - I appreciate the feedback. You've made my day :-)

The internet is fantastic, and things can only get better.

Tight Wraps
Dave Boyle
www.visualwrap.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster