I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide set up data base
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 04:02PM

We have the CCS data site so why not a data base that has spinning rod guide set ups? What I mean is, builders who have built spinners set up to a certain reel. The guides and sizes would be listed along with the distance from the intersect point with regards to reel seat location. For instance:

g-usa b70m - Shimano Sahara 2500 - reel seat center 13" from butt - intersect point 36" from tip - guide1(size 8) X" - guide2 (size16) X" - butt guide (size 25) X". The guides below the intersect point would be measured from that point. Really, recording the blank model wouldn't matter.(these numbers are all just thrown out there)

I hope I explained this right. I'm not good at it. Anyway, it was just a thought that I think would help folks set up spinners quicker and especially when they can't get the reel that is intended for the rod. Could even record how far the center of the spool shaft is from the edge. Oh yea! This is assuming that you're using the method outlined by Tom K. in the library section.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide set up data base
Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.139.150.---)
Date: August 12, 2005 05:03PM

This wouldn't be that tough with a MySQL database and a little bit of PHP to let users add new combinations...
Wish I had more spare time :(

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 07:30PM

I once stumbled on a web site where builders could post their rod specs using a standard form (much like the one featured in RM at [www.rodbuilding.org]) that included all the things you mentioned plus some. If I recall correctly you could post photo's with each spec as well. Standard search functions suited the purpose well. Nothing too fancy. I think it was a UK site but cant find the link to it at this time. It was pretty neat.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 09:14PM

Wuoldn`t that take the fun out of building a rod??Also the rod and reel combos would be numerous and probably not make it to useable.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: August 12, 2005 09:50PM

I don't think it would take the fun out of it. As for the "rod and reel combo" it doesn't matter what blank it is as long as it's really really close in diameter. But who would put an undersized reel on a big blank. The intersect point will still be in the same place if using the same reel. Might have to tweek a little bit but it would be very close. It would really help a builder who can't have the reel in his hands to set the guides up with. There are numerous reels but it is only the first 3-4 guides that need to be recorded.
Say a guy wants me to build him a 7' spinning rod. I ask "what reel do you plan on using?". He tells me and then I can look in the data base for a rod that has been built using that particular reel. If it's not in there then I try to get the reel, build the rod and submit the data to the data base.

Steve

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.189.55.---)
Date: August 13, 2005 12:01AM

You might want to get in touch with Cliff Hall. He is working on this right now and has already put quite a bit of effort into it. If you go back two pages to a post by him titled "Butt and Choke Guide Spacing for Interconnect Method" you can see a number of comments that were made on this subject several days ago and can also get Cliff's e-mail address.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.183.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 13, 2005 09:55AM

I would also think it should have the reel, seatmaker and size, direction of threads, forward or backward,
and the butt handle length so as to placement on the blank

Date: August 13, 2005 09:56AM

The board changes so fast that if you do not visit for a day or so a lot of new posts get pushed back. Sorry I did not see his post and made this re-post. I have spoken with Cliff via email and he seems to be on the right track with it.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: August 14, 2005 12:07AM

Steve's request was totally independent of my request. And he had no knowledge of my recent request for reel-guide-rod data for guide layouts on spinning rods using the Intersect Method. (Nor of my "encyclopedic tomes" on the subject.)

In my opinion, Steve's request is evidence that other rod builders would also be interested in this data, if we could just find the right way to get the ball rolling. Right now, I'm still feeling a bit like Sisyphus. -Cliff Hall +++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster