I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Water slide decals
Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: August 10, 2005 08:03PM

I have been using vinyl decals on my rods for a long time. I am thinking it is time to step over to water slide decals or at least try them. On the Decal Connection it says to apply one coating of epoxy prior to putting the water slide decal on. Is in not possible to lay it on prior to putting epoxy on? I am able to get the rod done with one coat of Flex Coat heavy build.

How are there vinyl decals? I have been ordering them locally but want to check the Decal Connection out as well.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water slide decals
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 08:07PM

You could do that on a rod with a gloss finish, but on a rod with a matte finish, the part showing through the decal will be matte and the rest will be glossy. putting the decal over finish also gives it depth. I would put a thin layer of finish on the blank where the decal will go and then finish with the the coat of high build

Mike

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 10, 2005 09:16PM

I put permagloss under it. Then tried to put permagloss over it. Don't do that, profit from my mistake! Made a royal mess! On repeat put epoxy over it without any problems. Permagloss is OK under it but not over it. Mike made a good point, you want a glossy finish under them. The xylene in permagloss disolves the decal. Thank you Jimi for suppling me with a few extras.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 09:51PM

I had a bit of luck to begin with when applying waterslides over a matte blank (non-gloss). In hindsight, learning that the waterslide decal has a very thin layer of adhesive on the back side, I believe that the LUCK I had with the first few coming out so well was simply because the decal was placed nearly perfect right off the backing paper. I think that little bit of adhesive was enough to allow the decal to appear "glossy". The more the decal is moved around, the less adhesive there is to even adhere the decal without bubbles, lifting edges, etc. Learn from my foibles and don't move the decal any more than you absolutely have to. Try to get it as close as possible right off the backing paper.

I don't trust to luck anymore. Permagloss, a bit of masking and a thin coat of Krylon fixative are the fast ways. Two part epoxy is the slower way. They all work without fail.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 10:12PM

David, i tried that little trick that Jimi showed us all at Charlotte last feb. put in in the water leave it a few seconds and leave it sit a few min.out of the water. Put that baby on, it worked great. The decal was not as fragile. Give it a try.. John

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 10, 2005 11:08PM

You have picked the best decal vendor there is in my book. Follow the directions they list on their site and you won't have any trouble. Any questions ask Jimmi. they have the BEST customer service you could ask for!!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: John Pinson (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 10, 2005 11:13PM

Since we are on the subject of decals. Does anyone know of a way to print these decals? I would like to find a way to be able to reproduce my logo using MS Publisher or Photoshop.

I was told that an ALPS printer does a nice job, but they're out of business

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2005 09:11AM

John I just had Jimi reproduce 2 pages of my logo. One in white the other in gold. They came out better than anything I've done myself. Dont' think I'll worry with trying to reproduce my own anymore.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 11, 2005 09:27AM

If you do labels on an ink jet printer, I doubt that you will be happy with the results!! Fade very quickly! DC can do a whole sheet of your logo's very inexpensively

Posted by: jeff cason (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2005 05:10PM

If you are not working with Jimi and Decal Connection then you are simply making one part of rod building hard and less professional than it needs to be. Those people, especially Jimi, are teh BEST. He produces all my decal and I have had him do vinyl decals for me as well. They are unbelievable.

Couldn't agree with you more Doug.

Jeff

Doug Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John I just had Jimi reproduce 2 pages of my logo.
> One in white the other in gold. They came out
> better than anything I've done myself. Dont' think
> I'll worry with trying to reproduce my own
> anymore.
>
> Regards..........................
> TCRds

Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.139.150.---)
Date: August 12, 2005 04:58PM

I got a sheet of them with probably 40 logos and text on them for under $35. 3/4 of the sheet was silver, the other 1/4 in gold (no extra charge for two colors!). While you might save a few dollars using your own printer and decal paper (I tried that), Decal Connection's stuff is FAR superior.

For less than $1 a rod, you can't really go wrong.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster