I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel Fly Rod
Posted by: Greg Spackman (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 09, 2005 10:03PM

Greetings from south Texas

I need some recommendation on a good travel fly rod blank. I would like a 5 wt, 8'6"-9' rod with segments of 18" or less. I prefer to build only high quality rods.

Any recommendations will be appreciated and thank you in advance for your help.

Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel Fly Rod
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 11:22PM

Contact Dan Craft. He is one of the board sponcors on the left.
He has some awesome blanks and provides top notch customer
service. I just received an 8wt 5piece and like I said, Awesome!!

Happy Casting!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 10, 2005 10:36AM

Dan Craft has good blanks as does St Croix and many others. You may wish to look at the CCS Data Site and choose based on the information provided. That can help you find the characteristics you are looking for in a rod or blank.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2005 08:07PM

I built my travel rod on a Winston LT 8'9" travel blank about 10 years ago (Before I heard of Dan Craft). It is an excellent general purpose rod. I fish with it 90% of the time and I have many other rods.

You can go in a Winston shop and cast a factory rod. Then if you like it you can order the blank through the shop at the same price as you can get it mail order.

The factory rod seems to me to use too many too small guides poorly placed. I like the one I built better.

Posted by: Kim Hermann (---.ds1-sdb.adsl.cybercity.dk)
Date: August 11, 2005 05:07AM

My recommendations for StCroix SC IV travel blanks

Kim

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: August 11, 2005 09:38AM

Looks to me like your going to need a 6 or 7 piece rod blank to get your length. Dan Craft has a 7 piece blank that is about 17 inches long if I remember right. Nice blanks, Cabela's and others also make some, I've fished a few that fished pretty nice, but none that were good enough to use as my primary rod in any application.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2005 05:02PM

I have a 7 pc 9' 5wt Elkhorn rod that is quite nice. the sections are 17" long. Not as stiff as one would expect from a 7 pc rod. I would describe it as a med fast rod that will load with a short line using a 5 wt. The rods and blanks can be had at fly fishing shows for 1/2 price. I've heard good things about March Brown and Cabelas 7 pc rods but I don't believe that blanks are available for either of those.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster