I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fighting butt-flyrod
Posted by: dave potts (---.ktis.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 06:49PM

I'm getting ready to build a 7 weight flyrod with a fighting butt and have a question regarding how to attach the fighting butt. The assembly consists of the fighting butt and a stem and a flange piece that mounts into the back of the reel seat. The stem screws into the flange. The part of the flange that the stem screws into will actually fit up into the butt end of this particular blank. The fit is not real snug but I question if this is how it should be assembled. My concern is that it would but stress on the interior wall of the blank and perhaps cause it to crack when playing a fish. Is this how they are supposed to be assembled or should you extend the reel seat further back on the blank so that the stem is not up into the blank? Would appreciate any help.

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fighting butt-flyrod
Posted by: Brion Kallinen (---.702communications.com)
Date: August 09, 2005 08:44PM

Yes the stem goes into the blank. The little flange that the reelseat fits on is not enough to hold when putting pressure or leverage on when fighting a fish. Depending on how much space there is glue will fill it. The glue has to get between the stem and the blank to hold anyway. And the outside is reinforced by the reelseat. I don't know how much space you've got there. Wrap some thread on it? Leaving plenty of space for the glue to hold the stem. That's what I would do. Maybe someone else has a better way.

Re: Fighting butt-flyrod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 10, 2005 09:09AM

Normally, you would slide the seat back far enough so that the seat flange has room to fit, or trim the rear of the blank by enough to make up for the length of the flange. It is not designed to fit inside the blank, but if it will fit, go right ahead. The pressure will on the junction of the flange to the seat barrel walls, not the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster