I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas SB 166 6F
Posted by: Chuck Doersam (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 02:45PM

Has anyone tried the Lamiglas SB 166 6F??? Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas SB 166 6F
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: August 09, 2005 03:11PM

Chuck,
I haven't used it but I have built hundreds and all I can say is that it is a beast. What application is it you are wanting it for?

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: August 09, 2005 03:34PM

I want to throw 10 to 20 0z swimming and surface plugs i have made as an experiment.

Date: August 09, 2005 03:45PM

I think that the 5F might better suit your needs. It is used here on the Columbia River by the Sturgeon fisher's to throw up to 32 oz of weight & bait in pretty heavy current.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: August 09, 2005 06:44PM

What is the difference between the 5F and the 6F I see the butt and the tip are the same .The weight is 9 oz more on the 6F.but that is all I can see from the specs.

Date: August 09, 2005 06:52PM

Besides the 9oz in weight the 6F is rated for 8-20 oz and the 5F is rated for 6-16 oz. I believe that there is a slight typo in the catalog, I checked the butt od's and the 5F has a butt od of 1.28 and the 6F is 1.30

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: August 09, 2005 10:05PM

DUMB QUESTION!!! What is 5F and 6F??? I assume it's not a 6 piece fly rod. Also, Good to hear the Columbia river guys are throwing 32 oz. on the 5F........Was curious what the upper end weight was on the 6F???

Posted by: Mike Nicolle (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: August 10, 2005 09:28AM

Hi Chuck,
Todd is right, the 6F is a beast. I've thrown both rods and I prefer the 5F if you plan to do a lot of casting .
Hope this helps, Mike

Date: August 10, 2005 12:14PM

Chuck,
In our fiberglass surf & bar rods we have always used an alpha numerical rating. The 5 or 6 is the power and the "F" being fast action. If you look at the line up you will see ratings like 1604M or 1362F this being 160" 4 power moderate action or 136" 2 power fast action. If it were a multi piece model you wourld see a "-2" at the end.
I'm not really certain what the upper end weight would be on the 6F, I suppose that would depend upon the person casting it. The right person could probably cast an anvil.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: August 11, 2005 12:02PM

Thank you Tod and Mike.Very helpful to get a feel for the beast as I want to order it without handling it first.I have been using the GSB-136 1MH for some bigger homemade lures.I thought a bigger faster tip rod would handle my 14 to 24 oz plugs and swimming lures.......I guess I may be lobing them.What do you think???? What was the SB 166 6F made for???

Date: August 11, 2005 12:17PM

Chuck,
the 1361MH would be a bit more moderate than the 1665F or 6F. If I'm not mistaken the original 6F's and 1688F's were built for ULUA fishing in Hawaii. I know from sales 10 + years ago the 6's & 8's were the most popular. This wasn't necessarily due to the casting ability but the lifting capacity because of fishing the cliff's and areas where access to the water was limited. Any more though the volume of sales are the 4M's and 5F's for Cat Fishing in Oklahoma and Arkansas. And like I stated before the 5F's for Sturgeon fishing mainly below Bonneville Dam on the Columbia.
From everything you have said about your intended application I am of the belief that the SB1665F would fill your needs best.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: August 11, 2005 01:35PM

Thank you Todd for helping me to understand these blanks.I look foward to launching my luers with the beast.

Date: August 11, 2005 01:38PM

Well, make sure you let us know how it works.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster