I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions for trout trolling rods components- Help
Posted by: Nacho Garibay (204.128.192.---)
Date: August 09, 2005 01:13PM

Hi All,

Need your suggestions for building two rods to troll for Trout on Lake Michican. This is a surprize for my girlfriends dad and brother, both who I have not met. Heck, I do not even know the size of the fish up there nor the line they use. So, I hoping one of you rodbuilders does this kind of fishing. I could not even tell you if they use downriggers or spinning reels, which could be a problem.

Any suggestion on which blank, guides, reel seat, and handle to use would be very helpful for trolling for trout on those big lakes in central United Stated. No need to ask me any questions, I have no idea.

I will take all suggestion and summarize them and build two TROUT TROLLING RODS, I think.

Thanks all for any suggetions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions for trout trolling rods components- Help
Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: August 09, 2005 01:57PM

I don't build those type rods and wouldn't know where to begin. But Tom Kohl at PetroChem is an expert on them and wrote a very detailed on article on Great Lakes Trolling Rods in the Volume 8 issue number 1 Rodmaker. I only skimmed it but it appeared to be pretty detailed and even went into the history of those rods and how to fish them. So you can troll the message boards for this info and probably get a lot, or just get that issue and have everything right in front of you by a guy who makes his living building and sell those very type rods. Either way you go, good luck with those rods and the fish!

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 06:49PM

Same here, I don't know anything about fishing the Great Lakes, but I remember seeing the article and it was pretty detailed. Seemed like a great reference for that type of fishing. What is PetroChem??

Posted by: Steven Connell (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: August 10, 2005 10:51AM

I've been fishing out there for 30 years, but never built a rod for it.What I can tell you is we troll with level wind reels and most people run 20 to 30lb. test line. Most preffer 8-9 foot rods for fishing down riggers and 9-10 foot for dipsy divers.The fish in summer run from 5-20 lbs with the rare one going 25.Hope this helps ,maybe someone else can be more specific on blanks ect. Feel free to mail me if you have any other question I can help with.

Tuna

Posted by: Nacho Garibay (129.42.184.---)
Date: August 12, 2005 11:39AM

Hey all,

Just want to say thanks for your suggestions, I order the mag and it is on its way. Funny thing is I had my friend ask her uncle about what type of rod that her dad and brother were using and her uncle said it was

5 1/2
solid fiberglass
only four guides which included the tip.
the tip was like a spring design, like on the coil on a mattress
two rings to hold the reel
20 lb line on a level reel

I thinking this is a tuna rod, but the 20 lb line says no.

I will wait for the mag to try to be a better understanding of what I shoudl be building.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Posted by: Ken Frazee (66.100.26.---)
Date: August 12, 2005 12:47PM

Most rods used to troll the great lakes are longer than the rods these fellows currently use. The question on length depends on trolling method and line choice as well as species targeted. Guys use everything from the Swan Noodle Rod to heavier boat rods. I prefer to fish/troll big water with a longer softer action trolling rod. After reading the trolling rod article you will have some decent ideas on where to start. I wish the artice were more detailed myself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster