I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Portugal cork forests ablaze again
Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.bootp.Virginia.EDU)
Date: August 09, 2005 12:56PM

I saw on the TV news the other night that the forests in Portugal are on fire again - 130,000 hectares so far. The last big fires were in 2003 and burned 424,000 hectares including 20,000 cork oaks. There are about 2.5 acres in a hectare.

There is a lot of info on Google regarding the fires and cork (do a search using the following string of words: portugal forest fires cork). However, does anyone know how this affects cork supply for rod builders? Has the loss of trees affected the supplies in the past?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Portugal cork forests ablaze again
Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: August 09, 2005 02:00PM

I guess it doesn't afffect it much. I talked to a cork supplier this morning about the supposed lack of good quality cork for rod building. These are his exact words~~~ "Very good quality cork is available, but the rod building suppliers are not buying it." He said they usually buy down one or two grades and then sell that as their top grade. So the problem is not with the supply of cork. It's with the dealers who I guess don't want to pay the price for better cork or maybe they don't feel the builders will actually pay the price to get it. I don't know. But it would seem that good cork and plenty of it is out there now that so many wine makers are switching to composite corks for their bottles.

Posted by: Stan Massey (---.cable.ubr04.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 09, 2005 02:01PM

I spent 2 weeks in Portugal in March this year (vacation). Hired a car and travelled hundreds of miles. The amount of forest lost to the fires is sad and may obviously cause a kickback to the rod building industry but the amount lost compared to the amount available is minimal. One main importer in UK has supplies for the next three to four years based on normal sales and they sell all over the world. Any supplier suddenly putting up prices is probably just jumping on the bandwagon to make a quick profit. A bit like the oil wells Mr Hussain decided to burn in Kuwait. Cost thousands if not millions of barrels but only put a fraction of a pence (sorry cent) on the overall cost for a short period.

Stan

Posted by: JERRY SPRINGS (---.dlsrtr.corridor.net)
Date: August 09, 2005 05:41PM

Hello fellow rod builders, I don't guess this is where burnt cork comes from? It was just a thought for a very sad situation.

Jerry Springs

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kyamk.fi)
Date: August 10, 2005 02:36AM

JERRY SPRINGS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello fellow rod builders, I don't guess this is
> where burnt cork comes from?

LOL Jerry! You are killing me! A good one! :D

Sad to hear that lots of forest is on fire. Though this is the natural way to fertilise the ground again.

Stan: Would you reveal this one British importer for me please? I'd be delighted if I could order good stuff from EU instead of US.

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: August 10, 2005 04:33AM

Stan,

the cork importer in the Brits interests me too since I've practically used all that I got last time I ordered stuff (from US).

Cheers,

Posted by: Stan Massey (---.cable.ubr04.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 10, 2005 06:15AM

Miko & Sakari,

not sure of the protocol naming the cork suppliers in UK as they are not board sponsors so have e mailed you both with details.

Stan

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.adsl.coastalnow.net)
Date: August 11, 2005 03:57PM

I read this thread earlier, then I, reamed and glued corks for a handle I am making. Got to thinking about it and why I use run-of-mill corks. Once agin I am out of the main stream. I like the looks of a handle with all the nooks and cranies of regular corks. I think it gives the rod character. It may even make it easier to hold on to. Or maybe it is because I am too cheap to buy high quality corks. Does anybody else like the looks of low quality cork? John Butterfield

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2005 04:01PM

Depends on how just how bad it really looks. I do think people tend to forget that cork is a natural product and most rings, nearly all rings, have some amount of imperfections in them. The idea that "once upon a time" you could get 100% clear cork from nearly anyone is more of a myth than anything else. Sure, a very, very small percentage of rings probably fall into the 90% clear category (RodMaker CG-1 scale) but these have always been relatively rare and certainly have never accounted for most of what winds up on fishing rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster