I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marketing
Posted by: Jim Cunningham (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 07, 2005 05:57PM

I've been selling rods for about six months. Handed out cards to "everyone". Donated four or five rods to charity silent @#$%&/ golf tournaments. Showed off a spiral wrap i did on an albacore boat (freaked everyone out until I got hooked up, then I got a lot of positive comments once they understood the concept). I've only sold five rods. Three of those were a single order for matched fly rods. My pricing structure is in the norms for my area (San Diego). Any ideas on "getting out there" and selling some rods?

Thanks,

JC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marketing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2005 06:57PM

One of the biggest problems is that the market for custom rods is comparitively small and "Who the heck is Jim Cunningham?" Seriously, stop and think how you would react if you found a product that you liked, but it was one made by somebody you had never heard of. Companies spends tons of money building an image - marketing their name to the public. People are not apt to buy products from persons or companies that they don't know. Don't take this the wrong way, but from a selling standpoint, it's doubtful you have any "legitimacy" going for you yet.

Do you have a website so interested parties can find out a little more about you and your rods? Do you have a shop where they can come visit you? Do any of the local tackle shops talk you up a bit, perhaps? Some of what I call legitimacy will only come in time, but you can do a few things to speed it along.

Next, what is different about your rods than what guys can buy in the local tackle shops or from the tackle discount mega-stores? Are you copying factory rods or making something that is truly different? Do your rods perform better, look better and look different? If not on all three, you have to understand that most fishermen will just stick with manufacturers whose names and rods they're familar with.

Anyway, these are just some of the stumbling blocks for most any of us that have ever tried to sell custom fishing rods. Actually, anybody who is only six months into the craft and has already sold a set of 5 rods hasn't done badly at all. Just be patient and consider some of the things I've mentioned.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 09:10PM

Hi Jim

I did all the things you mentioned years and years ago. What broke it open for me and many of those I know who have made it a business is two things.

One Fish a lot and show your wares like crazy. It is a slow process but can get you a lot of business.

Two and most effective. Is Dedicate at least two years of doing sportfishing shows. This is a jump start and if you have tallent you will get work. Make some to sell at the shows and sell those(impulse buy) Do the spiral thing because NO ONE is doing it at the shows. If you have any questions feel free to call me. 805 485 3089. I am dial up so best chance is just to keep calling. I will try to give you some hints. Are you legal or just doing it on the side?

Drop me a line and well yak.
Doc Ski

PS dont waste money advertizing in mags of papers.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 08, 2005 12:38AM

Jim,

Patience and quality are the keys. Stick to it and keep doing all the things you are doing and all the things suggested above. I even put brochures in the local restaurants so people have something to read while they eat. I go to all the shows I can make and all the county fairs and guide/outfitter shows around here and have a store and I sponsor this web site. It all helps but word of mouth is still the best for me. I repair a rod for one guy and two weeks later three more come to see me because of him. I sell a new rod to someone and he tells all his friends and I get new orders. I sell rod building components to someone and their rod building buddies call me up. I get tourists in the store and win them over and they tell their friends and so on and so on.

Of course, you do have to hook that first one so he can talk. That is why you have to get your name in front of anyone who will listen. Keep at it and you'll begin to see the returns.

Tom is right, 5 rods in the first 6 months isn't that bad.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: August 08, 2005 09:58AM

What I think helped me the most, Most Important is word of mouth, A store front operation, and I spend my advertising dollars on Radio. Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster