I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

General rodbuilding questions?
Posted by: Chris Rhoden (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 01:48PM

i got a rod building kit with everything to build a 9' 5 wt. from Cabelas for Christ.as a few years back. I've found the the spine & all that stuff, I just need to find a good place to build my rod. I've heard you need good ventilation for rodbuilding. My garage is ventilated but would I be able to do the rod outside? I want to avoid most of the fumes. I'm going to buy a respirator for hand pouring plastic baits soon, would this work?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: General rodbuilding questions?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2005 02:18PM

Hi Chris,
General rod building is ok to do indoors with no special ventilation needed unless you are using paints or solvents
or other things like that. Putting thread to the blank requires no chemicals but you will have read the lables on the
glues and or epoxy you are using. I have my rod jig set up in my garage and have no problems. I'll take the blank
into the back yard to apply paint or things like that and then hang it back in the garge until dry.

Good Luck !

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 06:34PM

Chris, with the two part adhesive and two part rod finish included in the Cabela's kit there is a minimum of fumes of any kind. A while back,someone posted that the epoxy and finish in Cabala's kits are Flex-Coat products. Go to it! Raymond Adams, imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I'm trying to be flattered, but all I can do is laugh. Nice Signature. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2005 06:59PM

Epoxy doesn't really have "fumes." It's made up of mostly solids and you don't have any evaporative solvents to worry over. But don't get any on your skin. Most people don't have problems with epoxy, but a very few are allergic or can develop a sensitivity to it.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2005 08:11AM

Thanks for the compliment Ralph,
I was concerned that you might be offended.
I normally do not plagerize.

Note: Tried to email you but the email was returned!

Smooth Wraps!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster