I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cocobolo or other wood allergies
Posted by: John Kepka (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 10:39AM

I was wondering if anyone has had an allergic reaction while turning any wood? I read some warnings and I got a little nervous. Of course I am using a sanding mask and I have a vacuum @#$%& in most of the dust genereated.

thanks

john kepka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cocobolo or other wood allergies
Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 07, 2005 10:50AM

Many types of wood can produce undesireable effects when breathed as dust. It's always a good idea to do what you're doing when turning wood. Always use a good quality dust mask, and minimize airborne dust.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: August 07, 2005 12:26PM

Exactly what Rich said.

Certain types of hardwoods can cause respiratory effects from chronic exposure, or allergic reactions in a smaller percentage of people. There has also been evidence of naso-sinus cancer in workers primarily exposed to hardwood dust.

Good exhaust ventilation is important. A good respirator is important as well if you do a lot of this kind of work.

When purchasing a dust mask or other type of respirator... always purchase one that says it is NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health) approved.

A NIOSH approved respirator, when fitted properly, is rated to provide a specific minimum amount of protection. A mask that is not NIOSH approved is not verified to provide any spcific level of protection (often these have only a single strap)

A mask rated N-95, when fitted properly, will remove at least 95% of the particulates from the air that is breathed through the mask.

A mask rated N-99 is 99% efficient. A mask rated N-100 or P-100 is at least 99.97% efficient (HEPA filter).

The rating system works like this... the number gives the efficiency of the mask (95, 99, or 100). The letter preceeding it tells you whether it's Not resistent to oil mist (N), Resistent to oil mist (R), or Oil Proof (P). The N,R, or P rating is not something you need to worry about typically with wood working since you aren't typically generating airborne oil mist.

With disposable dust masks, it is important to get a good fit. This means squeezing the metal band to contour the nose, no facial hair along the edge of the mask, and using both straps... also finding a brand that fits your face well.

I could go on and on... Occupational Health & Safety is my profession during my non-rodbuilding hours... but I won't bore you any more... hope this is a useful tid bit.

Erik

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an2.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: August 07, 2005 03:21PM

Forget the disposable masks and get yourself a 3M half face respirator, comes with organic vapor cartridges for fumes from finish and dust cartridges. IMHO well worth the $25 - $30 cost. No more headaches from fumes or dust in the nose. The fumes from some of the exotic wood are bad and are not filtered out by a plain dust mask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2005 03:26PM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.225.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2005 04:46PM

The important information was mentioned above, you should heed it. I started turning cocobolo handles for my offshore rods without any PPE. I wound up with a nasty poison ivy like rash all over every bit of my skin that was exposed. It was not fun. It was only until after the fact that I did some research and found that cocobolo is an irritant. The resins and oils contained within the wood are similar to the poison ivy family.
I now turn my cocobolo wood wearing a hooded smurf suit, full face outside air supply, rubber boots and gloves, then I shower after.
I personally recommend an outside air supply system
The irony of the whole episode is the fact that I have a master's degree in workplace safety and OSHA/NIOSH related prevention methods and did something stupid like that to myself......it served me right.

WEAR PPE!!!!!!!!

PPE= Personal Protective Equipment

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: August 09, 2005 08:43AM

I've not had any respiratory problems, but my skin is sensitive to a few hardwoods. All the rosewood family irritates my skin. That includes cocobolo, rosewood, tulipwood, blackwood, etc. I assume it's the oil. Also, bocote is another oily one that makes me itch. Oak and mesquite are two non-oily types that give me a light rash also.

Posted by: rocco (207.166.0.---)
Date: September 19, 2005 01:19PM

I get the rash and swelling of the skin, feels like my skin is going to rot off. Last time I had the problem I was not sure if it was the wood, or an improporly maintained spa. NOw I know for sure. Going to the doctor to get a steroid shot now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster