I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod eyes
Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2005 08:25PM

Ok i'm going to try and build a 6' 40-50# stand-up. Can anyone help me in choosing the proper eye size for this rod? I'm going to be using turbo typ guids, no rollers. The eyes must be large enough for wind on swivels to pass with ease. My thoughts were a size 16 tip following about 3-4 20's and lastly a 25.
Thanks for your help!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod eyes
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2005 08:38PM

I'm a big fan of turbo guides for standup rods even if I do prefer the 61/2' length over the 6' for improved bait casting ability and use when fishing the rail( I fish long range out of san Diego) Despite that, for a 6' rod , i'd start with a 25 if its a 50# class rod, I'd start with a size 20 turbo on a 40# class rod. If starting with the 25, I'd then go to a 20, then a 16 then the rest size 12 to a size 12 tip. Starting witha size 20, i'd go to a size 16, then a 12 , then several 10's with a 10 tip, if a size 10 tip won't fit and you have use a size 12 tip, I'd use all size 12 guides to the tip after the size 16. hope that helps. email me with any questions.

Posted by: Michael Friddle (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 04, 2005 09:35PM

Thanks Jim. The size 12 seems really small for a 80-130# spro swivel to pass through??

Date: August 04, 2005 10:56PM

I have no idea of the size of the swivels you mention. I am curious why you would be using them on a 40-50# class rod, seems like overkill to me. Not sure I like the idea of metal swivels sliding across the sic guides either. I don't know anybody in my neck of the woods using that sort of setup.

Posted by: Michael Friddle (166.82.135.---)
Date: August 05, 2005 06:48AM

Jim, I want a wind 0n swivel so that we do not have to leader the fish. This gives us more control of the fish around the boat. The Spro swivel is very small for it's size. In order for any other brand swivel to have a 80# rating it would be about twice the size of the Spro. If I bought a 30-50# swivel in a spro it would be to small to get my 80-100# leader through. If I bought another brand swivel,then again it would be twice the size and would not go through the rod guides. So the swivel that Spro makes just happens to have a larger break strength not size.
Hope all that made sence, Michael

Date: August 05, 2005 12:17PM

Ok, but I still don't like the idea of running a metal swivel through sic guides, maybe someone else out there has done this???
If you still wish to do it, then the guide size obviously would be dicated by whats needed for the swivel to fit through.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: August 05, 2005 01:19PM

I have the same feeling with Jim why do you want to put metal on your guides. I use windon's all the time. I just put the swivel about 5 feet in front of the bait. Believe me the fish willnot associate the swivel with the bait, weather you are chunking or trolling and then that way you don't have to worry about winding the swivel onto your guides, and you still get the same effect you are looking for. Not having to leader the fish.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: August 05, 2005 02:15PM

The SPRO swivels are fairly popular on the East coast, but they're always used on rods with rollers, not ceramic ring guides. I've seen SIC rings shattered with shock leader knots. Metal swivels running across ceramic guides with a 40 pound tuna on the line sounds like a death certifcate for the ceramics. You could use loop to loop wind-ons without the swivel or switch to rollers and use the swivels. At the bare minimum, use a roller tip-top, but even with that I wouldn't give the ceramics much of a life expectancy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster