I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Teeny Weeny Threads for Art
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 03, 2005 09:29AM

I'm perfectly satisfied with Madeira Polyneon 40 weight, but reading about these old wraps done with 00 & Silk thread have me curious about what the sizes are of all these threads.

I know Gudebrod has a chart on their site. Has anyone measured any other threads? Madiera 40 or 60 wt, Sulky, Robison-Anton, any of the Silk companies, fly tying threads, etc?

Any measurement that you have would be great. My personal measurements for my butt wraps is Gudebrod Nylon size A I get 3.8 threads per millimeter when the pattern is square. Madeira Polyneon I get 4.1 threads per millimeter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teeny Weeny Threads for Art
Date: August 03, 2005 09:41AM

Called Madeira, they do not measure the thread in thickness, they do not have those specs available. Since the thread is so thin, they measure it by weight, which should be obvious. They did say there are 45 colors available in 60 weight, I'm sure Mark Crouse has them all, as I know he was the first one I know of who used the 60wt when all they had available was Black.

Maybe this information is available on teh internet somewhere, as 40wt is an industry standard, maybe all teh threads have to be teh exact same thickness, I dunno. I do not have access to any .com sites at work, only .org so I can't even look right now.

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.penn.com)
Date: August 03, 2005 10:19AM

you can't get .com sites cause the boss put a lock on your computer...you slacker !

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 11:43AM

Billy V.

I tried to put together a matrix of the different thread diameters in inches form several makers for a year and had to give up in disgust. Nobody worked with thread diameters, just wieghts, even after explaining to the different thread makers that their products were becoming popular with a whole new category of craftsmen they still could not help me.

What little I came up with was posted on this board, last year I think?

Derek

Insert Foot into Mouth
Date: August 03, 2005 02:31PM

Read my responses: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Here's another good thread: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Derek - I'm wondering if you still have whatever info you put together in a Matrix?

Rodbuilding stinks when it comes to stuff like this. The FLy Tying industry has ll their threads tested, measured, Chris Helm & I believe Gary Borger put together the charts for one of th magazines years ago, I believe Chris from Whitetail uses hit chart in his catalouge.

How can I go about figuring out the exact thickness of a thread? Does anyone have access to these tools, or know someone that does?

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.69.18.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 04:23PM

Billy, to see the availible colors of Maderia 60wt Polyneon, look at your color card. Any of the color numbers with a black dot next to it is availible in 60wt.

It would take me forever to wrap a butt wrap with 60wt thread, especially on some of those big blanks that I wrap on.....plus I still wrap one thread at a time!!

Date: August 03, 2005 04:34PM

Seane - I have an old chart, next time I order I'll get an updated one though. Have you bought any 60wt thread? If so, feel free to let me know how thin it is compared to 40. Just do a short wrap, like 2 millimeters, and count how many turns it took, & do the same with 40wt. THat's all I'm looking for really.

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.69.18.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 04:45PM

Sorry Billy, I do not have any 60wt thread.

Posted by: Ken Mayall (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: August 03, 2005 10:03PM

Here's some info that might be of use to you Billy.

[ylicorp.com]
Check out the Thread of Truth brochure

[www.ahrice.com]

Rich Margiotta responce to a silk thread question.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Ken

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 08:04AM

Madeira PolyNeon 60 = 7.5 threads/mm. That's the number I get.

Stan

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 05, 2005 12:09AM

Thanks Stan...................

Billy.......split 40 wt down the middle ( not easy, 2 ft sections,twist it out first, enough for maybe an "up" thread)..... you probablly end up with something like 80 wt? I don't know if its "teeny weeny" , but do know its "wicked small"!

Date: August 05, 2005 09:59AM

I found my Whitetail Catalouge, the article I referred to was written by Chris Helm, and the measuremetns taken by Bill Merg (too bad not Bill Vivona, I wouldnt' be wondering now, lol). Unfortunately, they don't have Rod Wappign threads listed, but if I ever wanted to use some of teh fly tying thread I have, I think I could go down to 6/0 if I wanted to, as some of teh threads should be strong enough to wrap with.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 05, 2005 09:07PM

Update comparing PolyNeon 40 & PolyNeon 60 (threads/mm.):

Re-measured both of these today wrapping around a 1/2" mandrel instead of tapered blank. Used calipers to get 2 mm. accurately placed on 1/4 th inch tape Measured each 3 times using the same starting & ending points, which had been marked with a sharp pick.

PolyNeon 40 = 5.5 threads/mm.
PolyNeon 60 = 8.0 threads/mm.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster