I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Diameter Woes
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 12:05PM

Still working on my matrix.

Can you believe that I can't get the information I want (the diameter of certain threads in inches) from the manufacturers? Repeated emails and nothing.

Sigh!

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Diameter Woes
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 01:16PM

Figure it out on your own?

Posted by: Jason Van Horn (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 01:18PM

What brand are you looking for?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 02, 2005 01:45PM

The search engine will go thru the archives for you and pull that info, I think the standard size wrapping threads have been covered in posts twice this week.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 06:53PM

Are you using NPC or regular With NPC and it is a A thread it is reall one size up from a regular also you have to take inconsideration is how tight you pack the wrap and burnish it. what size rod are you working on.
Good Wraps bob

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 02, 2005 11:30PM

I am not looking at standard rod wrapping threads, I am looking at a commercial source that advertises 15wt metallics with a fair color selection, and a good color palatte for threads in 20, 30, 35, 50, and 60wt including some metallics, neons and firefly threads. Most of the threads are polyester or Rayon but I have been using these threads with some success for a little while now. I have the matrix complete for Gudebrod Thread diameters and polyester/rayon threads from commercial size 15 (00 Government Size) to Commercial size 554 (Govmnt size 8-cord), but there are gaps. This source deals in smaller bulk spools and at better prices than a certain other web source I learned of from this board.

12wt
15wt
20wt
30wt
35wt
50wt
60wt

Once the blanks are filled in I will have have a complete matrix that I will make available to anyone interested. I am one of those "but why daddy?" kids all grown up. I know that some of these threads are not recommended for rodbuilding...but....quite a few people have found these threads useful for weaves and such. Plan to go all the way with the tests once the matrix is done and money allows. Test wraps on black and white blanks, with and without CP, with Future Acrylic as CP, epoxy coated wraps, spar varnish coated wraps, etc. Once done it will be able to have definitive proof as to which threads may be of use.

Thank you for your replies and patience guys.

Derek
dsrtegl2004@earthlink.net

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 09:13AM

IF you are going to do all that, just buy a spoool of each size and figure out the specs yourself. YOu don't have much of a choice.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 12:14PM

And don't forget that the thread diameter will get slightly smaller when it is wrapped around a blank with tension . . .

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 03, 2005 05:12PM

Also make surew these threads do not have a wax coating on them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster