I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inlaying pictures?
Posted by: Tyler Bell (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: August 03, 2005 01:57AM

Hi all
I just thought of something I may want to try with the rod I am building. I am wanting to print a picture of a fish off of my computer to inlay on to the rod. What I am wanting to know is can I just use photo paper and print it off to size and place it where I want it to go on the rod and put a thin coat of thread epoxy over it like I would do to a regular decal or would I have to find somebody that does decals to make one up for me? I am trying to find the cheapest way to do this I looked at decal connections web site and seen what they charge to do decals and I am not wanting to spend that much. So what I would like to know is will my Idea work if so has anyone out there ever tried it and if so can you tell me how they turned out or even email me pics. if you have them so I can see how they look.
Thank you
Tyler

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inlaying pictures?
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: August 03, 2005 07:12AM

I am sure it would work, but I would think the picture would not last very long and fade pretty quickly, just my opinion.

Posted by: Alan Gasior (217.13.181.---)
Date: August 03, 2005 08:04AM

Yes, it works and the picture doesn't fade. I've done it several times, e.g. the South Park boys for a friend of mine (a South Park freak), the Tiger from Pooh tales for a friend of mine's five year old daughter. Everything turned out great. I will e-mail you some pictures.

Print and cut the picture then put on the blank and soak with color presever (I use Trondak U-40 Color Lock). Do not brush the picture for a long time as colors and paper edges can melt (if there's a failure, remove the pic and print again). Let it dry overnight and cover with thread epoxy. Have fun!

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 09:26AM

I have been placing pictures on rods since the 80's and it is best to use the slick photo paper other wise the liquids darken regular paper.Try to peel off the back of the photo so the picture is as thin as possible and glue it to the blank and apply finish. I have never used CP, you don't need it. I encapsulate pictures in grips now rather than putting them on the blank. Jesse

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (66.98.130.---)
Date: August 03, 2005 10:03AM

Decal Connection seems very reasonable to me pricewise. If you do make your own, stick with Epson printers. Their inks are more long lasting than that done on the Lexmark or HP printers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster