I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap advantages opinions
Posted by: steve parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 07:53PM

This is a statement by a guy who has been building rods for many years he says. He posted this on a fishing club board trying to boost his business by donating a rod for raffle. To the right of his quotes are my opinions of each one.

the spiral is 100% better in all phases of bait casting rods.
#1 more distance - not true
#2 more fish control - I can see that due to no rod twist-see #4
#3 a much smoother cast - not true
#4 0 % rod twist "rod roll" - true
#5 line never touches the rod blank(no matter how big the fish) -true
#6 more swnsitivity - i dunno. Maybe.

What do y'all think of what he claims? This is obviously part of his sales pitch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap advantages opinions
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 08:22PM

I don't see where it will add any distance to the cast, but it should cast as far if you do a good spiral version. I can't add sensitivity but I've heard guys say this too. Something about the line touching the bottom of the guide ring or some such nonsense.

My opinion is that the spiral wrap is superior enough to stand on its own true merits. Give any fisherman the two type rods and let them spend a day with each and 99% of them are going to prefer the spiral version. It just works better.

But let's not give it a bad name by making statements that aren't true. Your buddy is off base on some of his statements and somebody is going to prove him wrong. At that point it's a black eye for spiral wraps.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.an2.chi30.da.uu.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 08:32PM

I believe rod sensitivity could be better depending on the components used. I just built a spiral (bumper system) rod for myself with a Matrix blank and Amtack. Titan guides and I am really surprised how sensitive this rod is. I use it for bass, worm fishing, and I feel every blade of grass and or weeds. I am a believer. Volume 8, Issue 2 has the info. on "the simple spiral."

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2005 08:54PM

I have no doubt that you've got yourself a super sensitive rod, but I don't think the spiral wrap itself had anything to do with it.

If, however, you end up reducing the number of guides (and therefore weight) on the rod due to use of a spiral wrap, then you would increase the sensitivity. Only by a tiny amount, but the increase would be definitely be there.

I think the main selling point of any spiral wrapped rod should be that it creates an inherently stable rod, making it easier to fight any size fish with less effort and reduced fatigue on the angler.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 10:04PM

Opinion -

One thing that is typically overlooked is the extended longevity of the rod. In the hands of a bass fisherman who violently does his thing by the hook set or a marsh rat fighting big redfish with a overmatched popping blank the total stress on the blank is reduced if it is spiraled. Fibers are subject to fatique failure at reduced loads and rods are made with fibers. When you take the twist out of the equation the darn rod will last longer. I will bet you if one of the big manufacturers would share the data the warranty replacement of spinning rods is a lot less than that of casting rods - guides on top in the same rod class. Why should this be the case - the guides are on the bottom and torque is gone. The manufacturers can not support spiral wrap from a marketing standpoint but if they would be candid they would support spiral wraps from an enginnering and just plain common sense view.

Gon Fishn

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 11:14PM

Bill, the rate Spinning rods are returned might be skwed because they tend to use a lot fewer guides which put more stress on teh blank when teh person using the rod hi sticks.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 11:19PM

Billy,

Bill's saying that spinning rods have fewer breakages than casting rods

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: August 03, 2005 09:12AM

I know Mike, what I'm saying is that Spinning rods would probably have even less breakages if they used a guide or 2 more on them.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 09:50AM

Or keep them out from under my big feet!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Grant Darby (164.116.100.---)
Date: August 03, 2005 12:01PM

Let me get back to what Steve asked for...an opinion on the sales pitch of the builder. I have no problem demonstrating the advantages of the spiral wrap on a downrigger rod, a plug rod for river fishing, or a heavy rod for halibut or bottom fish. Just using it once makes a believer out of most fishermen. It takes more effort to convince someone to switch from a conventional setup on an ordinary casting rod for drift fishing or our typical salmon fishing. Nearly all the sales effort I use is directed at the fish control aspect, not the casting capabilities or sensitivity, thats part of the building process and the materials used. Sure, the spiral will cast as far (maybe further, maybe not) than a convential placement, but smoother? More distance? More sensitive? Mike is right, someone will say it ain't so and prove it!!! It would be much better to have a happy customer than someone who's out to disprove your theory.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster