I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Guides what is best type?
Posted by: Dale Cecil (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:57PM

I am building 4&5 weight fly rods not sure if I should use the old snake guides or the new type low profile ring type guides. Looking for avid fly fishermans opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Guides what is best type?
Posted by: John Dow (---.213.252.64.snet.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 09:36PM

Dale , that's a tough question to answer with out knowing what type of fishing you'll be doing with the rod . If you will be making long casts and doing a lot of stripping like when streamer fishing , incert guides will be the choice that I would make. Close in work on smaller streams you can get away with wire guides , but I only use single foot wire , Recoils mostly . Think about weight and price as the titanium framed strippers and running guides can get pricey . The advantages of incerts far out weigh the negatives, take into concideration how much fishing you'll be doing , as line wear is greatly reduced with incerts, one wrap per guide as compared to 2 with conventional snakes saves weight ( and a few wraps ) .
There are a ton of things to think about when deciding which to use . Hope this sheds a little light .........
Have Fun , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.162.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 09:55PM

I would tend to go with single foot wire guides on the 4WT less thread less weight, and ceramics on the 5. If the 5 wt is a fast action blank, they tend to be able to hold the ceramics better.
Then you also have Titanium, very light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2005 09:57PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2005 08:41AM

I use ceramics on all my fly rods and have for many years, regardless of line size. I feel the total package of benefits they offer is well worth the money. Hopefully you'll get additional input from other fly rod builders. There's a lot of opinions on this subject, you may wish to do a search on the archives to turn up some other thoughts.

Posted by: mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 09:44AM

Dale,

I mostly use singel leg ceramics by Fuji. If you can run to the T-sg which is their Titanium framed model so much the better as it weighs only 40% compared to stainless steel frames. Snakes to me are old hat. I could never get my head around a guide that uses the rod shaft to form the closure. They also tend to have poorly formed feet and sometimes come pre-ground? butchered. I have even seen them arrive with the plating flaking off. It never ceases to amaze me that the premium priced rod companies in the US still build their rods with twisted bits of wire.

Regards

Mike

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 11:58AM

I'm sold on single foot ceramic guides regardless of rod size (weight). I would be disappointed to have to go back to wire guides on any rod.
This is my subjective opinion but it is based on 60 years of fishing experience covering a wide range of rod
configurations.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.69.159.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:46PM

Yea but you put ceramics on a 3WT moderate 9 ft fly rod, unless they are titanium, you got a wimpy bouncy tip A fast action blank will hold them better.

To each his own.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 02:19PM

I would never go back to standard snake guides, they're just far too much work and offer no additional performance for the extra work. On nearly every fly rod, and that's all I build, I use single foot ceramic insert spinning guides and that includes 8 and 9 weight rods. I don't even use double footed guides for the stripper.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.69.159.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 02:25PM

Why wrap a guide twice when you can wrap only once. And get better performance. I do see a lot of factory and custom makers using double foot snakes. maybe it's the looks ???

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: August 04, 2005 07:15PM

As I am trying to make a decision also on guides to use for a 9 ft 4 wt, can anyone offer a mid priced suggestion for the single foot guides? What brand makes the most sense here? Are the ceramic insert guides really overkill on a 4 weight flyrod? A 4wt for trout fishing the tailwaters for trout.

Thanks.

Tim Kelly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster