I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titebond III for cork handles
Posted by: Bill Emshoff (---.ktc.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:52PM

I usually use Devcon epoxy for gluing up cork handles, but I have heard Titbond III also works.

Any comments about Titebond III?

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titebond III for cork handles
Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 09:05PM

Use it! No more mixing, never had a failure.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2005 09:18PM

It works fine. The only downside is that it will rust the heck out of your mandrels. As soon as you pop the grip off, get to work cleaning the mandrel surface.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.162.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 09:29PM

Try rod bond for your rings and gluing the handles and seat to the blank. Excellant stuff

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 10:10PM

So that's where that rust came from! I usually try not to get the glue on the mandrel anyway but I must have been a bit sloppy on the last grip. The rust cleans right up with a scotchbrite but I guess it's not good to do repeatedly or to leave on too long. The grips hold up well and the glue color matches pretty well. The clear epoxies turn white where it is sanded.

Tony

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 03:44AM

Does anyone know where to find Titebond III around Sacramento, California? I've tried several stores such as Homedepot and Walmart with no results. Thanks!

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: August 02, 2005 07:32AM

Rich,

Try looking for a store for wood working. Might have luck with that. Around here in Illinois, the Ace Hardware has it and also Woodcraft stores. You can order it from Woodcraft online. The only other chain store that I saw that had it was Lowes.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 10:58AM

Tony and all:

TheTitebond III mixture is quite acidic when wet. Make sure you put a good layer of parafin on the mandrel to protect it. Other than the fact that Titebond has a slight light brown color when dry, I have found it to be much easier to use than any epoxy and the results are good, too. It compares very favorably to all other methods of gluing up rings.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 11:37AM

I, also have been unable to find the Tightbond III in Northeast San Antonio, checking all of the usual places that you would think would carry it. So, what about Titebond II, have any of ya'll used it to glue up cork rings and if so how did it work out? My reason for asking is, in a moment of weakness, while searching for the III I bought a 16 oz of the II. Yea yea, yea, why such a big bottle, Simple, it looked like a bargain as apposed to the 4 oz bottle. The label says it is weatherproof and has excellent water resistance. and says it is ideal for outside furniture. So ???????????

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.143.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 11:49AM

I got some but then after finding I got the II instead of III, I went back to Rod Bond. That I know I will have no problems with.
Think the II is " water resistant" not proof?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 01:40PM

I too can not find the Titebond III but have been using II for some time, off and on, and am very happy with it. Quick, easy and seems to bond very well with cork, wood, foam and gasket material (so far-can't speak for long time) I think that a lot of builders have been using it for a long time though.

Mike

Date: August 02, 2005 05:21PM

Gerald Mc

I live in Kerrville and found Titebond III at Home Depot here. Try some other locations.

Bill

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 02, 2005 05:47PM

Bill,

I have not found the stuff in three different Home Depots in this area. Ditto with two different Lowe's, Ace Hardware, and Sipils Hardware in Universal City and Converse.
I'll keep trying.

Gerald Mc

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 07:23PM

Bill,
You found it at the Home Depot in Kerrville? I worked there for sometime, and we never carried it when I was there? I did see it at Lowes in Kerrville the other day though.

The manager form the Home Depot in Kerrville was just at my house...I am teaching him to build rods!

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 08:07PM

TiteBond II works very well for gluing up cork. I've never had the first problem with it.

Stan

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2005 08:56PM

Probably have to find the III version in a woodworking store for the time being.

Date: August 03, 2005 12:39PM

Andy and others,

You are right. I was in Lowe's this morning and that's where I bought it.

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster