I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Blank Failure
Posted by: Mike Parker (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:00PM

I'm really bummed, today I had my first blank failure. About a year ago I bought an older model Forcast spinning rod on sale from one of the board sponsors. I built it up a month or so ago for my 5 year old son, and it turned out really nice using blue ringed guides and ice blue trip wraps (my first trim bands, I usually build fly rods and like them very subtle and without flash). He's only fished it once doing the worm sitting thing and didn't catch anything. I took it out today to fish the Rappahannock river for smallmouth. On the first fish the blank broke in half about a foot up from the fore grip. At first I thought the tip portion had fallen off until I picked it up out of the water. Anyway, he doesn't know about it yet, and I'm dreading telling him about his rod. I guess I have to build him another.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Blank Failure
Posted by: John T. White (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:02PM

Something might have whacked it between the first and second trip. Maybe. Send it back to Forecast and they might give you another or sell you a new one at a reduced fee. Tell your son you're going to build him an even BETTER one!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.162.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 09:32PM

If it was a 2003 blank, that is why they changed the factory they had making there blanks . The 2004 on up are a lot nicer. hay maybe you can get another?

Date: August 01, 2005 11:04PM

I've ordered a new RX7 spin blank to replace it. Looking forward to a new build.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.cttel.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:08PM

Mike, Why can't you slide and rodbond a scrap piece of blank into it and repair it? Just wrap a band of your ice blue thread as well as finish over the repair. I think the two of you will be happy. Ed

Date: August 02, 2005 12:21PM

The break is very jagged with many smaller cracks/splits spiraling up from the point where it broke.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.102.60.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 08:52AM

Mike, As long as the blank does not have a real agressive taper at the fracture, you may be able to save it. Wrap a band of masking tape up from the jagged edges, take a hacksaw and trim it straight. See how the two edges match up with each other. if close, slip a scrap piece into each end. If there is a difference in both blank sizes, leave a small gap between the glued ends with the scrap blank exposed. Fill and taper the gap with thread or epoxy/ resin with the powder additive to thicken your mix. Cover repair with a band of color and finish. Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2005 09:02AM by Ed Grella.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster