I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dan Croft Blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 06:50PM

I've never used or seen a Dan Croft blank. Why would I choose his blanks over others? Say St. Croix or Loomis or rain shadow?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Croft Blanks
Posted by: John Dow (---.213.252.64.snet.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:33PM

Steve , do a search of Dan CrAft and see what you come up with . All I can tell you from my experiences with them is that they are a great blank at a VERY reasonable price . I've built 3 for my self and several for others , and had nothing but good results . Have fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: August 02, 2005 11:56AM

Dan's slim line ferrules (all series?) have to be seen to be believed. If you put guides on the ferrules you would swear your rod was 1 piece. The blanks also tend to overline very well. And then there is the ridiculously low prices.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 01:18PM

Steve--it's Craft not Croft as John pointed out (just to be sure you end up with some results on your search!). Dan's blanks really are simply outstanding blanks. While some (many?) might say they are BETTER than the top models of the big brands, I'd describe them as equal in quality and performance but DIFFERENT. The Sig V's are one of the lightest blanks on the market, period, with one of the smoothest and quickest recoveries out there. The blanks just cast themselves. His FT series is gaining cult-like popularity because of it's versatility and incredible (and I mean INCREDIBLE) reserve power in the lower 2/3 of the blank. Some say you need to overline by one or two line weights but this is a very personal and subjective thing...we say Dan's rods ARE rated accurately but they can be overlined and still immensely enjoyed (in other words, the FT in a 905-4 say is actually a very nice rod when fished with 5wt line. It's more of a precise tip-action in close, and just keeps casting with authority when you increase the distances. It also casts 6 and 7 wt line at regular and long distances without feeling the least bit overpowered thanks to Dan's progressive design to the blank). The Sig III's are wonderful, light, fast-action blanks especially renowned in the lighter line weights (1wt - 3wt). The FRSIII8022 is one of my all-time favorite blanks, as is the FRSIII61013, 9032, FRSV8943 and 9053, FT907-4, 1005-4...the list keeps going... :)

Bottom line? Great blanks at great pricing with full warranty and the knowledge the maker of said blanks is a builder committed to the industry and not just a business opportunist.

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: August 03, 2005 04:11AM

Hi Steve.

I've bought two blanks from Dan. 5Rivers Sig V and FT - both #5 and 9'.

The Sig V immediately became my favourite. Usually I like fast action (like some Loomis GLX and Sage XP models) rods but this one is a moderate action (based on superbob's ccs-info) but accompanied with an incredible fast recovery. At least that's how it feels like. It is very light in use (swing weight?) - I didn't measure the actual weight. There's plenty of power too if needed. Keeps the fish on well. In my opinion this rod does some stuff well and some stuff amazingly.

The FT is ultra fast action rod. A lot like the Sage TCR I believe (based on reviews and Bill Hanneman's BIG picture measurements). The tip is very soft and the lower parts are stiff. Recovery is fast. This makes it a demanding rod with a #5 line. But you can cast it with the rod - just use enough a compact stroke. Roll casting a #5 is maybe a bit too hard even with a good technique. This could handle larger line weights easily but I think #7 is too much for my fishing and you miss the finesse of this rod by overlining. The swing weight isn't as light as with the Sig V. The FT, imho, is a great over head rod with a #5 and a good allrounder with a #6. I'd say that beginners should leard casting technique with some other rod before getting one of these - it is by no means an easy rod.

The opinions above are just opinions and a apply only to the 9' #5 models. The other models are always different even inside the model series (for example, I dislike the Sage 4100-XP but the 5100-4XP is almost as good as my Sig V, so it is a jewel too).

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 12:45PM

Does Dan make any Bass blanks, or does he only do Fly rod blanks?

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.eug.or.uspops.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 01:35PM

Because the 8'4 Sig V 4 wt is the best blank in the world....

Oh the others are dang close....

I have a 9 ft 7 wt FT waiting to be flex coated right now...cant wait totest drive it.

Oh...and the price is terrific

and Dan is one of the real great guys...

You owe yourself a trial run with one of his blanks!

Prepare to become convinced!

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster