I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Insect in my finish
Posted by: Andy Barela (---.galileo.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 03:41PM

Well.. I hope I am not the only one this has happened too.
While my finish was drying in my drying rack a small gnat decided to place him self on the finish. I noticed it the day after.. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can remove him without damaging the wrap or blank?

Thanks a lot,
Andy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Insect in my finish
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: August 01, 2005 04:33PM

Unless you used very thin finish like Permagloss, you should be able to remove it with a razor knife, just like removing the "fuzzies." You can also use an emory board. You will need to put on another coat of finish afterwards.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 04:35PM

After your finish is dry...take a razor and carefully scrape away any bits you can't remove with your fingers.
Scuff up the cured finish an little with a scotch brite pad and, reapply another coat.
You should not see any visable sign that anything ever happend, (had a big fuzzy moth fly into my last coat of finish on my last rod)!

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 04:37PM

Like Gerry says you can remove it with and exacto knife or surgical knife if you have one. Remove a little at a time, if you try to get the little sucker all at once you might catch the thread.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 04:43PM

Better yet, Call it an inlay and kick the price up!!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Andy Barela (---.galileo.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 05:05PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.. I will try and remove it with a razor blade. I do like the idea of the inlay though..

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 05:50PM

Tell the customer that it is an original Doc Ski (Lebanowski in disguise) weave mini version and add $ 500 to the price. What a bargain the guy will get! Wadda Forum - The original post and the replies would be similar to Tiger Woods personally giving my wife a golf lesson for free!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2005 05:53PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 06:08PM

A couple of yrs ago I caught a Butter fly, put it in CP and then placed it on the blank near forgrip. rearanged the wings let it dry put a finish coat on it. It came out fantastic. This was done on a Salmon mooching rod.
Good Wraps Bob Andy you have a hidden email adress. Go to your profile to take it out of hidden

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 06:09PM

remove him in one piece and use him for bait

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.162.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 10:09PM

Befor you remove it --- Take a good look. Do you really want to ???

You could clear over it untill level??? hay I always swim upstream.

Take a picture.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.153.38.115.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 04:20AM

A few months ago I actually left a house fly embedded in finish. The fly became stuck in the 1st coat of finish. When I mentioned this to the owner he said to leave it, so I used addtional coats of finish (addtional weight not a factor) to build up the area. He calls the rod his "fly rod" even though he's referring to an 80lb class trolling rod. Apparently it has become quite a conversational piece amongst his fishing buddies. At present I am concerned that anyday now one of them may ask me to encase a critter in their rod's finish too, and I am going to find myself trying to catch a bug for the task....

Lou

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.129.143.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 07:38AM

Maybe you better start filling up some jars ??

Date: August 02, 2005 09:13AM

All you guys are doing is giving Jesse (Cash) Buky more ideas for his encapsulations. Free flying gnats are a lot cheaper than the ladies hat pins that he turns into Bad to the Bones. I don't know if they have the "green head flys" in Virgina or not they would be quite striking if hung up in Flexcoat!

Gon Fishn

Date: August 02, 2005 09:20AM

Go to the woods with some jars. Catch any thing that flys, or crawles. Stick it in finish. Make a little low spot where it goes so the finish is easyer to level.
I am sure Jesse has thought of it.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 11:27AM

You guys are a couple of years behind me. My first "FLY ROD" was 13 house flies encapsulated in the grip of a short [ 18"] bait casting rod,5"butt grip of checkerboards, trigger seat, flies on Oak background, red,white and blue marbelized shaft and a ferrule on the end. Had 3 attachments, a backscratcher, feathers, and the killing part of a fly swatter. This was a true fly rod. Jesse

Date: August 02, 2005 11:36AM

Sounds more like a swiss army knife ?? LOL

Date: August 02, 2005 05:14PM

OK Jesse, ADA Cash, if I were you I would not sleep too peacefully tonight. My "fly rod" is being returned at my request from a very satisfied customer to permit me to photograph tomorrow morning. I will post this picture tomorrow morning and challenge you to reply in kind with a Can You Top This! You had better come up with a good one!!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.154.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 05:18PM

O gee, we got a contest going on here???? Bill, I have got to see this one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster