I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Homemade power wrapper - Pulley Dia.?
Posted by: Matthew Robinson (---.49.123.35.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 03:39PM

Hello, I am makeing a power wrapper and I have a 25-75rpm sewing maching motor. I rigged it up with a 2-1/2" pulley and it seems the chuck is spinning way too fast. Also the motor feels like it might be struggling a little bit on power. a bigger pulley would also help, correct? What size pulley should I try to use? 4"? Also where can I get a pulley wheel, that is kind of lightwieght and has a center bore of anywhere between 3/8" to 3/4". I am going to post picture of my power wrapper when i get it operational. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Homemade power wrapper - Pulley Dia.?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 05:00PM

Try smallparts.com or Herbach.com or search for Machine Parts

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 05:02PM

on the machine I built I used a 100 yd Stren Spool with a Alum spacer for the shaft

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 06:13PM

I have found them in Mom/Pop hardware stores. Or tractor supply stores. For get the large chain type lumber/hardware stores

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2005 09:56PM

In the new issue of RodMaker, you can see Doug Cox's solution to the pulley problem - he just made his own. A beautiful job, lightweight and about 4 inchs, if I recall correctly. The motor pulley was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, I think.

Posted by: Donn Lawty (---.242.204.244.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 11:57PM

If you know the RPM you want to acheive at the chuck, you can figure out the correct pulley diameter. It may be a little hard for me to explain, being neither a math guy, or a writer- but let's try.

Let's say your motor RPM is 25, and you want to turn the chuck at 10RPM. Divide the motor RPM by the desired chuck RPM. In this case it's 2.5. So- you'd need a pulley 2 1/2 times as big. You can plug any numbers you want in here- it still works out. Sorry I couldn't provide a real formula. :)

In your case with a 2 1/2" pulley if you wanted to reduce 25 to 10 RPMs- you'd need a 6 1/4 inch pulley.

Another thing- I assume you are using some type of speed control on that sewing machine motor to vary the RPM? Those little motors make more torque at higher RPM, so you will probably be happier running it at half speed or more- so 50 RPM to 10RPM would require a driven pulley 5 times as big.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2005 11:59PM by Donn Lawty.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:04AM

I can't wait to see how this one goes as I am considering the exact same project from an old school, belt-driven, Singer.

Keep up the good work Matt R.

Derek
dsrtegl2004atearthlinkdotnet

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2005 09:30AM

The no-load RPM on those Dayton motors is up around 5000. So you need a pretty good difference in pulley sizes if you want the top RPM to be workable. Obviously, with a variable speed foot control, you can keep things under control without resorting to a really huge pulley on the headstock, which would slow the speed of the chuck but also greatly increase the back-pressure when you turn by hand to start or finish a wrap.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 05:51PM

My wrapper uses a Dayton 1/10 HP motor that turns 8000 RPM. The pulley on the motor shaft is small, like 0.65 inches. I'm using the improved chuck and powerhead from Pac Bay, which is very substantial for wrapping and light cork truing if required. The pulley on the Pac Bay chuck/powerhead measures 4".

Besides the variable speed foot control, I have another spped controller wired in. The two controllers work very well in combination for speed control. As noted above, the motor and powerhead permit.

I'll post photos once I get my chaotic wrap table cleaned up a little.

Stan

Date: August 02, 2005 07:58PM

CORRECTION:
That second & third sentences from the end should have read:
"The two controllers work very well in combination for speed control. As noted above, the motor and powerhead permit light turning /truing of cork, as well as buffing, etc."

Stan

Date: August 02, 2005 11:15PM

Matthew,

I posted some photos of my home built wrapper.

It's 9' long and is built in three sections (4', 3' and 2') which mate up. It's very sturdy and weighs in at 52.5 lbs. total. The powerhead section (4') is easily separated and carried outside for any final cork truing that might be required. The 2 foot section functions well as a transportable non-powered wrapper, with a couple of stand-alone rod supports.

If you have any questions, shot me an e-mail.

As you might suspect, I enjoy building things. Good luck in your project.

Stan

Posted by: Matthew Robinson (---.49.123.35.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 09:55AM

Thanks Tom and everyone, I am pretty much going with a 4" wheel as soon as i can find one. My motor states 25-75rpms. It is an old singer motor. So i don't think i will have to slow it down much more. Although I might just get the improved chuck from someone. Stan, I really like the 3 section idea for travel and sanding outside. Designing the chuck has been the hardest part. The rest of the wrapper was pretty easy to build but I used alot of 1/4" bolts and hardware. I will post pictures with labels to the site when I get it finished.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster