I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork color
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 08:08AM

putting an extension on a cork handle, the 2 pieces I want to add are almost white compared to the natural shade . Is there a way to shade the lighter ones ? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork color
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 08:18AM

Bill I have had some success with the Minwax stains in changing the color of cork rings. One thing though, you need to have your handle shaped and sanded prior to staining. The stain does not penetrate very deep and any sanding or shaping done afterwards wil remove the color.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 29, 2005 09:14AM

Sometimes when you sand cork, teh inside color is different from teh outside. I think some rings are bleached so they look clear I dunno, I do know I've done what you have done, and my cork didn't match teh cork on teh rod, or the rod has been used and the cork was dirty & dark. I glued it up, sanded, "LIGHTLY" sanded with 320 teh entire grip - and you really couldn't tell any difference at all.

Posted by: Mike OLiver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 29, 2005 10:40AM

Bill

You could just leave it. The cork in actaul usage will very quicky asume the same discoloration of the old stuff. Depends I guess on whether it's a rod for you or someone else. I would probably still do nothing myself if it was for a customer and explain that pretty derned soon the corks are going to look identical.

Mike O.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 12:18PM

Bill:

I don't know whether or not your customer would have issues with getting the smell on his hands, but good old fashioned Clorox will clean the dark crap off of cork and make it look almost brand new. Just wet a rag with it and rub it a bit and watch the black go away.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: July 30, 2005 05:53PM

Bill, using the soap you clean your hands with to build rods, work up a lather on you're hands and soap the grip up. Then with an extra-fine piece of Scotch-brite lightly scrub the cork. Rinse it very well and set it aside to dry. This works better sometimes than others, but there is always some improvement. Then maybe 400 grit (sorry, I don't like 320 grit for grips) paper and finish with 600. I do this, at least the soap & Scotch-brite part to all my repairs on rods with cork grips. I also clean the rod with 91% clear rubbing alcohol and a small white cotton handkerchief, my rodbuilding shop rag. Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster