I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What bumper guide to use??
Posted by: Vincent Koon (203.106.182.---)
Date: July 29, 2005 05:34AM

I'll be building a 20-60lb, 6"6' boat rod using the simple spiral method. I'll be using fuji LRSG guides for the rod and I'm wondering what kind of guide should I use for the bumper guide? Should I use the same guide for the bumper (too high) or other models? Thanks.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What bumper guide to use??
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 06:14AM

Since the bumper guides only job is to keep the line off the blank use the smallest guide you can.
I would use the same style guidebut in a smaller size,if you are using shock leader you might have to step up a size or two for clearence

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 08:03AM

If it were me, I'd most likely use the LRSG #8, but you aren't restricted by any set rules. You could use another type double footed guide if you feel the #8 LRSG is to high.

Barry gave you good advise, use the smallest guide you can for your application. If you can use the #8 then do so, If you need something a bit larger then use that.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2005 08:49AM

I wouldn't use a big, heavy LRSG for the bumper - there's no real pressure on it. Just use a simple and lightweight NSG or something. No reason to use anything stout there.

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.esri.com)
Date: July 29, 2005 11:07AM

I just completed Acid wrapping a couple of Graphite USA Saltwater rods and I used a Fuji single foot boat guide, BLBLG12 for the heavier 50# rod to allow for wind-on leaders and and a BLBLG8 for the 30# rod. These single foot boat guides have heavy frames and I have used them on rods up to 60# so I am confident that they would work as bumper guides.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 29, 2005 07:34PM

Because the bumper doesn't actuall direct or transition the line, you don't need anything very sturdy. I just finished up a stand up rod with the bumper system and the first few trips have proven very encouraging. I used a single size 10 NSG located on the 100 degree axis per the article instructions for heavier rods. So far so good.

Posted by: scott gillman (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 30, 2005 03:34AM

I just tested a bumper guide #8 (those blue ring Am Tac's...pretty) on a cod jigging rod (Seeker CBS-909/trimmed) and the 60# Mono/100# Braid double uni knot connection slid through it no problem. 'Casted just fine! Didn't catch much fish...but I was happy it casted well. Those stupid fish!#!##

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster