I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glue-help
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 03:01PM

I need to glue a small piece of plywood to some styrofoam. I have 20 min. waterproof epoxy, Rod Bond, Liquid Nails, All Purpose Tacky Glue. None of them specifically says on the label that they will work on styrofoam. Any thoughts? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glue-help
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2005 04:15PM

I think you're going to be best off with an epoxy - they don't contain solvents so they shouldn't eat up the foam. I've used Rod Bond for all sorts of bonding jobs concerning foam to plastic (kayaks) and it seems to work very well.

Posted by: Sam Schalley (---.adobe.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 04:57PM

You also might want to check your local craft/hobby store. Most offer adhesives that are made specifically for Styrofoam.

- Sam

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (---.relistar.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 05:53PM

My grandmother did the Floral thing for years and I remember something in a tube called, "Hold the Foam." She mounded a lot of things to decorative wood and always used that green foam block and it would hold that. I am guessing a floral supply shop.

I used it to glue my fingers together so it works on skin too.

Steve did you ever build that 1wt?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2005 05:55PM by Jason Pritchard.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 29, 2005 11:53PM

Jason I wish I could tell you that I finally got aroud to building myself a # 1 wt. but the summer has flown by. A couple of family vacation opportunities popped up and our 32 yr old, Captain in the Army, son decided to get married this Aug. I know I want a Dan Craft, 7', one wt. and I want Dan to give me some ideas on the hardware. Ironic!?! I told my wife tonite about your question at the end of my latest post. She said, " So why don't you get one, they're not that expensive and I've heard you talking about it with the boys all spring?" She is a keeper. Thanks Jason for opening the door..... I plan to order the rod tomorrow. Do you think I shoud mention to her the Ross Reel and the Rio line I feel that rod will need? Wish me luck.

Posted by: Jason Pritchard (204.86.38.---)
Date: August 01, 2005 11:50AM

You can mention the Rio line, the Ross Reel is another thing. But the blank is really cheap in comparison to 'other' brands, so it is a steal. I am sure you didn't mention the components costs for that light little thing :) Anyway good luck. All I have gotten done this summer is remodeling my house. I am going to build 2 Salmon rods for the runs in Oct, if I can manage to find time! Plus it will be the first time I have ever built anything larger than a 5 wt. It will be nice to work with something different. As always I will build my friends to be beautiful and mine will be an experiment!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster