I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The REAL burnt cork
Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.139.158.---)
Date: July 28, 2005 08:32AM

So I received a bunch of nice burnt cork from Andy Dear a couple of days ago, along with a few mandrels (thanks!).

First one I glued up and had on the lathe...came out beautifully...dark burnt burl with the lighter stuff on both ends. Nice looking, meaty full wells grip.

I wanted to get it done so I could put it on the 5wt that I've had in the shop for a while. Tapped it off the mandrel no problem and got it ready to ream out. Started with a 5/16" in the drill and then stepped up a bit. About halfway through, the cork was a little difficult to ream out. I figure, hey, no problem, and keep going at it with the drill.

Next thing I know the cork splinters in my hand and literally bursts into flames. Now I knew it was hot here in Maryland today and the product is called burnt cork, but jeez...

I think next time I'll have a little more patience :)

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The REAL burnt cork
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2005 08:55AM

Not that it will help you now, but many buiders find it easier to ream/bore the rings first, and then place them on larger mandrel before the turning operation. The cork clamp detailed in an earlier issue of RodMaker makes this a snap (photos are on the photo here under my name). Then, after you tap the grip off the mandrel, you only have a very limited amount of final taper reaming to do in order to achieve a perfect fit.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: July 28, 2005 05:59PM

I've used the FlexCoat pilot drills on Andy's cork several times and they've always worked just fine. The drills get me pretty close to the final ID so the amount of reaming needed is minimal.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 06:30PM

Tom,
Where are the photos?
Dave

Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 01:07AM

Scott,

I too ream rather than bore. Andy made me some great mandrels as well and I use them alot for seat inserts.
For the cork, I have had a local machinest make me some mandrels with the same general taper as the rod blanks. This way, as Tom said, the cork is near the size and taper I need when I knock it off the mandrel and of course, I can turn it right on the mandrel! I had the mandrel made a bit long so it actually tapers from about .390 down to .290. I usually mark the mandrel at the diameter that matches the blank where the back of the grip will fit and glue the cork on there. I have even had a few handles come out to a perfect fit! I believe the glue that is left in the cork makes for a much more durable handle as well.
The only thing a person must keep in mind when doing this is that you may end up with some wax residue in the channel and without proper cleaning could end up with a poor glueup!

Dan Craft
Dan Craft Enterprises

Posted by: Robert Schuler (---.delv.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 09:35AM

Scott I just made a handle with Andys burl and I did the same as everyone else except I use a treaded 1/4" rod to glue the cork and as a mandrel. I used masking tape to buildup the treaded rod to fit the cork. The handle came out nice, I am sold on burnt cork and now have to retrofit all my old rods with new handles... Bob.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (69.139.158.---)
Date: July 31, 2005 01:53AM

Got up the courage to do the reaming again today and had no problems...just needed a bit more patience and time to clear the dust off the files (I use rattail files chucked in a drill). A little smoke but no flames!

I may try to get a mandrel like Dan mentioned. Sounds like that'd be the best of both worlds.

I've been gluing them up on 1/4" threaded rods but found that they are too flexible to turn good handles on. So I knock them off of there, and now that I've got Andy's mandrel, am ready to go with the turning.

The burnt cork is a neat product but I think it might have to be a special item for me as the handle I made today weighs about three times what a comparable cork handle would weigh. Since I do a lot of lightweight fly rods it might not be the best. Hmm...trim rings, maybe.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 31, 2005 09:11AM

Try drilling the rings out large enough to use Flexcoat arbors inside the grip. That really cuts down on weight

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster