I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Bamboo Tiptops
Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: July 27, 2005 10:22PM

Help,
I have a 40+ year old Bamboo fly rod that a costumer would like me to restore.
It will not be fished with afterwords.
I have never worked with Bamboo and would like any help out there.
What should I use on the bamboo after I get the varnish or shellac off?
Do I use the same on the wraps?
Oh ,don't forget to clue me in on how to get the tiptop off without breaking this womens late grandfathers favorite rod.
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Bamboo Tiptops
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2005 10:56PM

If the rod is that old, it most likely has old style "ferrule" or hot helt cement holding the tip top on. Heat will break the bond. Just don't overdo it, the same as you wouldn't on any graphite rod. Too much heat isn't good for any rod.

You can refinish the blank in any number of ways. There are many good varnishes available. Even Permagloss, which I believe U-40 originally developed as a new, tougher but traditional looking bamboo rod finish, would be a good choice. Most bamboo builders apply their finish (blank and guide wraps, all at one time) by the use of a "dip tube." You may find that to be a lot of trouble for just this one rod. So, consider applying the varnish or urethane by a long swipe with a foam type paintbrush/applicator. This works very well for a smooth, gloss finish. Let dry, then wrap he guides and use the same varnish or urethane to coat your wraps, in the same manner that you might apply epoxy to the wraps on a graphite or glass rod.

Re: Removing Bamboo Tiptops
Posted by: Bill Chandler (---.230.165.67.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 11:02PM

First suggestion is to pick up a copy of Michael Sinclair's book on bamboo rods. I think the title is Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook. This book will take you through the various steps in refinishing a rod. There are also some websites with step by step instructions. The classic finish on most rods was spar varnish. The same varnish was used on the wraps as on the rod. Before you remove the old varnish, check out information on polishing varnish. Sometimes if the varnish is not too bad, you can smooth it out through the process called polishing the varnish. This involves using a mild abrasive like rotten stone in a lubricant solution to soften the varnish and smooth it out. To remove the tip you will need an alcohol lamp, this is a lower temperature flame than most heat sources you might have. Simply hold the tip in the flame from the alcohol lamp. Never allow the flame to contact the bamboo. Slowly rotate the tip in the flame for 10 seconds, then try to pull the tip off with hot pad. It will normally take several exposures to 10 seconds of flame before the tip will come loose. Do not try to heat the tip too fast. If the bamboo inside the tip becomes overheated it will literally explode. Not a big explosion, but will ruin the bamboo inside the tip. If you do decide to remove the varnish, do not sand or scrape the rod. This can damage the bamboo. Michael Sinclair recommends using 3M Brand Saf-T-Stripper. I have used it on dozens of bamboo rods and have never damaged the glue that holds the rod together as other chemical strippers can do. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster